Mazon Creek Nodules

holdinghistory

I recently bought a few collections/accumulations of Mazon Creek fossils. One of them seems to have been a collection of all fauna. After sorting out all the pecopteris ferns and such, I am left with a pile of what seems to be mostly fauna. I am not very familiar with them and don't have very much time right now to figure out the classifications. So I thought maybe someone here would like to work out some sort of trade in exchange for ID'ing these nodules for me? There are shrimp, worms, maybe a few more unusual plants, and stuff I have no idea on. I think I have about 50 nodules. PM me if you are interested, thanks!

Put a few of them on the Forum. Many of us will work for free. Just give us clear, up close and numbered photos. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I had thought of it, but didn't want to post so many of them and presume on free help ;). I very well might put a couple up though if nobody is interested in swapping for ID's.

I'm sure people don't mind helping for free. 

It also increases your chances of getting correct ids, as anybody can make a mistake, but having a consensus or a bit of an informed debate will increase the likelihood of an accurate identification. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Also it is good for the forum by veiwing this post it could help other out with IDs, now and in the future. Anyway we just like looking at fossils.:popcorn:

I’ll ID for free, sadly I don’t know much about Mazon Creek IDs though. I will take Fossils for free:D:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@holdinghistory

How about making the project a Forum contest? You could post images soliciting IDs, then hold a prize drawing to select a winner* from among all participants. In that manner; fun, educational Forum activity is created, you get your answers, and your generous impulse to share a portion of your horde is satisfied.

* Making "winning" random gets around the arduous task of selecting the best/most helpful participant.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

@holdinghistory

How about making the project a Forum contest? You could post images soliciting IDs, then hold a prize drawing to select a winner* from among all participants. In that manner; fun, educational Forum activity is created, you get your answers, and your generous impulse to share a portion of your horde is satisfied.

I like that idea a lot. Working on photographing the nodules now and will post them today hopefully.

Archived