Amazing reptile fossil!

Crazyhen

Take a look of this spectacular reptile fossil from Yunnan, China from the Triassic Period.  Said to be all natural.  I have never seen any fossil that is as well preserved as this one. ;)

01664FA4-8733-4AC5-9362-63DA6018F294.jpeg

43513F28-FA09-4E80-A96C-1824A77E9C53.jpeg

CF717FCF-F56C-4C37-8BC9-49CCD9BBFCCF.jpeg

AAF79380-4C2D-4A64-8185-4557C9BDBCD3.jpeg

7F9B059D-F370-49FF-A33C-0B7B62D14D27.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Wow… Exquisite soft tissue preservation! a rival to Scipionyx and Borealopelta, for sure ;) Mike Benton should really take a look at that fascinating specimen..

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

That looks like a very well feed keichousaurus hui that probably ate most of the Triassic 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

That looks like a very well feed keichousaurus hui that probably eat most of the Triassic 

Yup, that one definitely had enough food to survive the end-Triassic extinction ;)

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Wow, much better preserved than this (somewhat meager)  beauty here - and this real gem here is already offered for over 2300 $! How much should the other piece cost?

Reptil.jpg.820d0d93c2502e8fc39b8b559659a7ae.jpg

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

You know, as funny as these satirical threads are, what is obviously a fake to many of us, might not be as obvious to others. I think it's important we keep education in mind when we talk about fake fossils. These monstrosities are sadly all too common. Perhaps pointing out which, even the obvious ones, are fake and how one can tell might be more useful than simple ridicule.

• I found this Informative 9

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

7 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

You know, as funny as these satirical threads are, what is obviously a fake to many of us, might not be as obvious to others. I think it's important we keep education in mind when we talk about fake fossils. These monstrosities are sadly all too common. Perhaps pointing out which, even the obvious ones, are fake and how one can tell might be more useful than simple ridicule.

You made a good point there and I feel I must apologise to the forum because I a prime candidate for adding levity to a post like this. I just really did not think that this badly faked reptile would fool any of our members .  I also thought this post was a joke in the first place.

All said and done and I will take your advice in the future. 

All the best Bobby :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Take a look of this spectacular reptile fossil from Yunnan, China from the Triassic Period.  Said to be all natural.  I have never seen any fossil that is as well preserved as this one. ;)

The smiley tells me, that this is pure satire and that this object was never sold as fossil.

But whats with this one:

2 hours ago, oilshale said:

Wow, much better preserved than this (somewhat meager)  beauty here - and this real gem here is already offered for over 2300 $! How much should the other piece cost?

Reptil.jpg.820d0d93c2502e8fc39b8b559659a7ae.jpg

I can not believe that this one was offered as a fossil - ?

Franz Bernhard

It still is! 

Luckily, no one has bought it in six months. I wrote to the seller - he reacted annoyingly.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

It's kind of sad how people actually buy this stuff.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

The smiley tells me, that this is pure satire and that this object was never sold as fossil.

But whats with this one:

I can not believe that this one was offered as a fossil - ?

Franz Bernhard

It is really being sold as a rare fossil in a Taobao shop!  Offered at a price of $1250!  And it’s said that this is a natural fossil waiting to be collected by the expert.....

• I found this Informative 2

Yep, Michelangelo made some great fossils in his day, but these are just terrible.

The persons responsible for these hack jobs had no idea what a fossil is, and neither does anyone that would buy one.

It all boils down to knowing what a fossil is/looks like.

I am surprised that they don't try to sell toyota corollas as chevrolet corvettes. (well they both have 4 wheels.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

20180825_192419.png

Oops! It looks like someone was a bit careless and nicked the center of the back revealing some fossilized plaster underneath.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

It is really being sold as a rare fossil in a Taobao shop!  Offered at a price of $1250!  And it’s said that this is a natural fossil waiting to be collected by the expert.....

OMG!  (Thanks for clarification!)

2 hours ago, ynot said:

It all boils down to knowing what a fossil is/looks like.

Thats a good explanation! Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

I hope its maker moves on to legitimate sculpture. It’s a terrible fake fossil — miraculous incorruption is not a reptile thing — but it’s gracefully rendered.