Is this Amber?

Lophophora123

Hi there,

My son (11) has found what he believes to be a piece of Amber, while we were fossil hunting on the Jurassic Coast.

Can anybody tell us if this could be Amber, it's definitely not glass.  Also, what is the best method to try to clean it up?  We'd like to try to polish it up.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian and Henry

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!!!

Here's a website to seeing whether or not your amber is really amber or if it's plastic/glass: LINK

Number 4 is pretty popular. 

If it was found on the Jurassic Coast, I think that the chance for Copal is slim (due to the age). 

I've often heard of worn out colored glass being found there, but never of amber... So I suggest doing the tests in order to make sure. 

Your find might actually also be some kind of sea-worn quartz or calcite crystal(s). 

About the polishing, I have no clue.

The Jurassic Coast is full of fantastic fossils. Hopefully you two have already made some good finds there? :) 

We would love to see pictures of that! (Maybe share them in the Member Collections thread)

Happy hunting!

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I hope it is amber because that would be an interesting inclusion. I'm afraid it looks more like a mineral crystal to me though.

We've just done some of the tests mentioned in the link above and we don't think it is Amber any more.

It still looks nice though and will remain in his Fossil find collection.  We do have several more fossils that we will probably post up for identification later on.

Thanks for the responses

1 hour ago, adrianmolebrewer said:

We've just done some of the tests mentioned in the link above and we don't think it is Amber any more.

Perhaps a small disappointment; but a great lesson for your son, demonstrating how science works! 

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It might be a weathered chert / flint nodule, according to the conchoidal fractures. The core might be a sponge with spicules visible.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library