FatherFossilFinder

Hey guys, my 6 year old son is incredibly into dinosaurs, other prehistoric animals, and, more recently, megalodon. He's said, for about the past 6 months, that he wants to be a paleontologist when he gets older. I'd like to continue to foster his love of science, biology, and paleontology by taking him on some fossil hunting trips and digs up and down the east coast. However, I have no idea where to begin. Any recommendations on some great places to go within about 5 hours of Richmond, Va? Also are there any places in the US where you can actually go and dig, find, and potentially keep legitimate dinosaur fossils or are all of those sites closed and/or you are unable to keep. Thank you

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to TFF. Personal Message me and I can give you a full list of my spots. I know where you can hunt for trilobites if he's interested or shark teeth and other fossils if that's what he's into. But there are other people on the forum that have their own spots too. 

@WhodamanHD

@Calvert Cliff Dweller

@Fossil-Hound

@hokiehunter

@b. bartron

• I found this Informative 3

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

First off, it’s great you are supporting your child’s interests. I remember when I was probably 4 or 5 and my mom would get me documentaries. Th “walking with...” sagas, the discovery channel docs on space. What wonders at that age.

There are places where you can dig dinosaur fossils but they are usually expensive. 

Marylands cliffs has a few public spots which @FossilsAnonymous Probably sent you, as well as Potomac spots. Great hunting at some of those.  If you want to get into some harder to access places or you want pro help there are a few people that for a fee will give you your best chance at some megs or something else epic at the cliffs via a guided tour. I can PM you links if you would like.

SC and NC have quite a few sites as well.

Even if later your child decides he doesn’t want to be a paleontologist, I hope he gains a hobby he can love for the rest of his life. Good to get out into nature, have a good walk, and then find a beautiful fossil which no one has set eyes on for millions of years. 

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think dinosaur area is in Pennsylvania. We have a Miocene exposure here is Calvert County Maryland which is about 5 to 24 million years old. Great for Marine fossils of the time period. You can dig where the water touches or search fallen portions of the cliffs that pass below the tide lines unless you get permission from property owners.  Then that opens a whole new ball park.  You can keep what you find.  But if it's significant you should make reports to the Marine museum.  If you have questions there are plenty of people to help you figure it out.  Message me anytime and I'll reply as soon as possible. Keep in mind Calvert cliffs can be a very dangerous area.  Not really suitable for children so to say.  I've had some close calls personally.  But.  There are safe areas like flag pond park.  So...  Ask around and research a little. I'm sure you'll enjoy the time. 

You can also hunt dinosaur bones at Dinosaur Park in laurel Maryland. They are kinda rare, but they are found. They don’t let you keep them, but you may keep fossil wood you find (which is abundant).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wish I had seen this earlier. You guys could have met us at Green Mill Run Greenville, NC, this morning. Only a 2 hr 30 mins ride from Richmond, VA.

8 of us walked in this morning in fog.

20180826_203212.thumb.jpg.e1dec8c5af809f39bde29309b2bf92cf.jpg

@bmitchell887 & his fiance are on right. I'm on left in black shirt & ball cap. @Daleksec is left rear with smile & glasses. Mrs.SA2 is hiding in right rear carrying our screen. In middle are our good buddies Todd and Heather from NC Fossil Club. Good day with good friends!!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World