Bivalve-enough left to ID?

BuddingPaleo

Is there enough of this guy for anyone to guess at an ID? Both valves are present, the side with the (I think...) plicatula gibbosa stuck to it is barely there, and heavily, heavily worn, but present. I've had it for quite a while, haven't found a match for it yet, but I also have no clue how much might be missing. I'm hoping the severe shelf on it will be enough for someone. Sw Fl, pliocene. Any help appreciated! 

20180825_111530.jpg

20180825_111454.jpg

20180825_111129.jpg

20180825_111248.jpg

20180825_111330.jpg

20180825_111224.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi,

Oyster ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I think it is an oyster. But it doesn't look much like any I can find. I was hoping its shape was enough for someone to make a guess at what kind. I don't have any others that really resemble it either. Well, one maybe, if I stretch my eyes. Lol 

Very difficult, these oysters, but i'd have a stab at Conradostrea, if pressed. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It is hard to tell from the pictures but I think it might be either Conradostrea sculpturata or Ostrea locklini (Gardner, 1945).  Gardner noted that both were similar but C. sculpturata has twice as many plications.  Yours appears to have the distinctive curve of O. locklini but more plications than the image on the Neogene Atlas LINK.  Cleaned with better lighting/contrast my help with the id.

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thanks for the input guys! Learned some new stuff again. :D 

I have examples of undulostrea locklini and conradostrea. Took side by sides for comparison. I got some better pics of it as well. I know they all need cleaned better, if anyone has suggestions, please, I'd love it! It's always that last thin layer of crud simply refuses to leave. Lol

20180825_210315.jpg

20180825_202425.jpg

20180825_203937.jpg

20180825_210342.jpg

20180825_210204.jpg

20180825_210633.jpg

Glad to see more pics of what you are finding. I probably already mentioned I raised/waved the white flag with trying to ID oysters awhile back due to their variability and my lack of knowledge...having said that in your 3rd photo the larger specimen on the right with a ribbed/spiny worn look to it has a Hyotissa feel for me but I defer to the experts...Here's a pic of 3 specimens with a Hyotissa on the left and a Spondylus on the right. 

5b82c47864baa_OysterornamentationtypesTamiami.thumb.jpg.e0b208f67d6a5669670ef425b42ae5c5.jpg

Regards, Chris  

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, I do recall the flag. Lol Here's my thought train on why I had removed it from my other hyotissa, I'm positive it's a rookie thing to do, but I'm a rookie so I'll enjoy making mistakes! Lol anyway the other hyotissa (that I was cozy enough to call so, are all so round. This guy looks like a bear paw. Originally I had him in with them, but started seeing a lot of conradostrea online (always dangerous) that more closely resemble it. Plus the muscle scar seemed higher up and the hinge too narrow. But oysters are jerks, and looking at yours, it could be hyotissa. They've conned me into an unhealthy relationship. I can't quit em! 

About the original guy, could it be hyotissa semiplana?

There are different Hyotissas and H.Haitensis is one that shows up commonly in the Tamiami and some other other Mio/Plio/Pleistocene formations aroundhere and I unfortunately dont recall the others..My memory is gone and I'm not familiar with  H. semiplana but Mike might be able to rule it in/out.

I dont see a scale in your photos so maybe I'm presuming a larger size..How long is that guy?

I'm not smart enough to try to rule out your logic and  the Conradostrea suggestion There are also the Plicatula gibossa and Plicatula  hunterae out there to possibly consider I guess depending on size since you mention paw shapes but they are significantly smaller....

P. hunterae is the bigger one.http://neogeneatlas.net/species/plicatula-hunterae/

P. gibbosa is the smaller one: http://www.nmr-pics.nl/Plicatulidae/album/slides/PLIOCENE-TAMIAMI FORMATION Plicatula gibbosa.html

This photo below is a mixed pile and illustrates my perplexities...Lots of smaller/possibly similar adult?/juvenile forms. I believe the bit larger P. hunterae are the separate specimens below the cardboard tray and pile....

IMG_20180826_161929.thumb.jpg.a06f53cb9bef42170fb55dc0de46e4b1.jpg

Hoping some others might chime in and help you...I think I'm only muddying the waters and not going thru standard procedures where a physical description is noted/captured for each specimen and those characteristics are compared to the written description and photos of the proposed species/docs for the formation. You may need to do some more cleaning on some of them and show both sides of the valves. I'm going back out to cut more grass! LOL Good luck! 

Regards, Chris 

I do have quite a few Plicatula, there's half of one stuck to the side of my original  guy I posted about, too. Lol I only recently identified them. I've got them all together awaiting a spa day.

Thanks for all the help, once again! My regards to your lawn. (I'm braindead, meant to say you were correct about guessing a larger size.)

20180826_194523.jpg

20180826_194751.jpg

Hey Mike if you get the minute..can you nail the ID for this last one? thank you sir! @Miker

Regards, Chris 

• 2 weeks later...

The last picture resembles the Ostrea is a genus of edible oysters, marine bivalve mollusks in the family Ostreidae, the oysters. What do you think Paleo? Lumpy and bumpy, Lol. :D

image.png.11290956650507214a6b3e5c18af7e51.png

I might have found the species in my fossil book. Ostrea Tamiamiensis. 65mm long. Both valves similarly sculptured with strong plicate  (folded, crumpled, or corrugated) ribs. Shell cavity shallow. Collected in the Tamiami Formation. Miocene. This form may have survived into the Pliocene Epoch before becoming extinct.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:24 AM, Plantguy said:

Glad to see more pics of what you are finding. I probably already mentioned I raised/waved the white flag with trying to ID oysters awhile back due to their variability and my lack of knowledge...having said that in your 3rd photo the larger specimen on the right with a ribbed/spiny worn look to it has a Hyotissa feel for me but I defer to the experts...Here's a pic of 3 specimens with a Hyotissa on the left and a Spondylus on the right. 

5b82c47864baa_OysterornamentationtypesTamiami.thumb.jpg.e0b208f67d6a5669670ef425b42ae5c5.jpg

Regards, Chris  

Hi Chris

The middle oyster is Ostrea ravenelina Tuomey & Holmes, 1855.  An index species for the Upper Pliocene that I have also found in the Duplin and Yorktown Formations on the Atlantic Coastal Plain.  I believe the large frilly oysters which are found from Virginia to Florida and Miocene to Pliocene are now referred to as Mansfieldostrea although I could not find online who published the new systematics.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

On 8/27/2018 at 8:29 PM, BuddingPaleo said:

I do have quite a few Plicatula, there's half of one stuck to the side of my original  guy I posted about, too. Lol I only recently identified them. I've got them all together awaiting a spa day.

Thanks for all the help, once again! My regards to your lawn. (I'm braindead, meant to say you were correct about guessing a larger size.)

20180826_194523.jpg

20180826_194751.jpg

Hyotissa haitensis (Sowerby, 1850).  It can be quite variable.

• I found this Informative 2

15 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

The last picture resembles the Ostrea is a genus of edible oysters, marine bivalve mollusks in the family Ostreidae, the oysters. What do you think Paleo? Lumpy and bumpy, Lol. :D

image.png.11290956650507214a6b3e5c18af7e51.png

Hello Bronzviking

This is an interesting shell.  Did you find it in Florida?  If so which County?  Could you take a picture of the other side?  It could also be Mansfieldostrea but not sure.

Mike

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

Hi Chris

The middle oyster is Ostrea ravenelina Tuomey & Holmes, 1855.  An index species for the Upper Pliocene that I have also found in the Duplin and Yorktown Formations on the Atlantic Coastal Plain.  I believe the large frilly oysters which are found from Virginia to Florida and Miocene to Pliocene are now referred to as Mansfieldostrea although I could not find online who published the new systematics.

Mike

Thanks Mike for looking at this thread and sorting thru these for us all!!!

My finds are all surface finds from APAC Sarasota from several years ago now. I beg forgiveness in my picture for including the Spondylus with the other oysters. I guess techinically it isnt in Ostreidea. 

Regards, Chris 

Scanned picture of Ostrea Tamiamiensis from my fossil book. It looks similar but not big like yours. @MikeR, I don't have that shell above in the post, I found it on google images after I found this one in my book.

Oyster.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 5:08 PM, Bronzviking said:

Scanned picture of Ostrea Tamiamiensis from my fossil book. It looks similar but not big like yours. @MikeR, I don't have that shell above in the post, I found it on google images after I found this one in my book.

Ostrea tamiamiensis is a synonym of Hyotissa haitensis.  LINK