dlindner

Hey guys, I pulled these vertebrae out of the chandler bridge formation (late oligocene) in Summerville, SC today. Does anyone know what they belong to? 

80D8DE62-8378-46D6-9055-D16B53A42326.jpeg

E1F2B02D-F0A3-4C00-8296-29DE67B682CC.jpeg

Usually these are attributed to shark centrums .. vertebrae. A common occurrence in the Ashley and Chandler bridge. Always nice to find them in one piece. 

Might be a hemi based on size and structure.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Might be a hemi based on size and structure.

How so? Please elaborate; I'd like to know.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

29 minutes ago, Auspex said:

How so? Please elaborate; I'd like to know.

They have the smooth outside and larger than carcharhinids, as well as the large holes. I used to have a better picture of an individual, but I can’t find it so here’s a section of the Calvert cliff Hemi skeleton. Could it be from another shark? Yes. Might have it be a hemi? Yes quite possibly.

9AFD591D-EB6B-4B9C-A83D-DE00758500D2.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It is a lamniform shark vertebrae, but I don't know how confident one can be about assigning it to a genus. Maybe someone somewhere ( @Northern Sharks ) can speak with greater authority, but the shark blueprint just doesn't have a lot of variation. I would love to see any studies that have been made!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

30 minutes ago, Auspex said:

It is a lamniform shark vertebrae, but I don't know how confident one can be about assigning it to a genus. Maybe someone somewhere ( @Northern Sharks ) can speak with greater authority, but the shark blueprint just doesn't have a lot of variation. I would love to see any studies that have been made!

I can’t speak with much authority, though I was told by someone who has hunted for a while. I don’t know him well though.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Beyond carcharhiniform and non-carcharhiniform, I'm not sure how to tell separate genuses apart from one another. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the septa that would indicate a non-carcharhiniform (lamniform) vert, so that leaves it as a carchariniform type, of which Hemipristis is a member, along with tigers, lemons, bulls, duskies and all the other ground sharks -dozens of species overall. There would need to be a lot of comparative measurements taken to narrow it down.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

53 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

Beyond carcharhiniform and non-carcharhiniform, I'm not sure how to tell separate genuses apart from one another. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the septa that would indicate a non-carcharhiniform (lamniform) vert, so that leaves it as a carchariniform type, of which Hemipristis is a member, along with tigers, lemons, bulls, duskies and all the other ground sharks -dozens of species overall. There would need to be a lot of comparative measurements taken to narrow it down.

Thank you!
I learned something (besides the fact that something I 'knew' was wrong).:)

Not a Lamnid, definitely a Carcharhinid.  Between species of sharks there are subtle differences in shape (round, oval, squarish, hourglass, cylindrical), foramin (holes) placement,  cap thickness, septa thickness (in Lamnids), pore density and pore distribution.   And unfortunately there can be variations particularly in foramin placement in the same shark depending on where in the body it came from.  And some species have basically identical vertebra centrums particularly if they are closely related.

So Hemipristis according to Purdy et al. 2001 has foramina with a little ridge inset, dividing each one into two - so this would more likely be Carcharhinus or Physogaleus/Galeocerdo, under that identification scheme.

• 1 month later...

Archived