Janicecarol71

Hi everyone,

On one of our family trips to Dickinson, ND a friend took us out into the Badlands about 30 years ago.

We found this item and at a local fossil show the 4 choices were geode which I don't think is correct.

Concretion or reptile egg were the other choices.  I will attach a second photo in a minute.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

IMG_3585.JPG

Welcome to TFF!

This piece looks like a concretion with some calcite(?) crystals formed in cracks in it.

Am not seeing any fossil here.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hmm...it is a concretion, but doesn't look like concretions I've seen from the area. Since it was purchased at a fossil show it could be from a different location. Since there are (calcite?) crystals present, the darker ovoid structure in the center could be a coprolite. However, without knowing where it was found, it is tough to be sure. :headscratch:

Welcome to the forum! :yay-smiley-1:

Hi, :Welcome-crab:

It looks like a nodule and seems non-fossil.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Sorry, I have confused you, I found this item in the North Dakota Badlands near Dickinson, ND.

When you hear Badlands that's what you get, windblown sand and sandstone and no plants around.

I recently took it to a local fossil show for opinions.  I did not buy it at the fossil show.

The outside layer seems to be pretty fairly even and as you can see part of it chipped off evenly.

After Googling many photos of concretions and eggs, I have seen nothing so far that looks similar.

I have already discounted it being a geode.  My family has collected fossils from all over the country

for over 40 years on our vacations and love the hobby.

Thanks for your input.

Janice

The Badlands near Dickinson are Hell Creek Formation, late Cretceous.  Ironstone concretions like this are quite common in the Hell Creek.  That's what you've got.