The Amateur Paleontologist

Lorna Steel (NHMUK curator of non-dinosaurian fossil archosaurs) just made available on ResearchGate an overview/catalogue of all NHMUK pterosaur collections (written in 2012). Though it is probably outdated by now, I thought that some pterosaur workers seeking to visit the collections might want a look at the paper :)

It's too big to be posted on TFF, but I can send it by email to those who'd like a copy.

Steel, L. (2012). The pterosaur collection at the Natural History Museum, London, UK: an overview and list of specimens, with description of recent curatorial developmentsActa Geologica Sinica‐English Edition86(6), 1340-1355.

Abstract: The pterosaur collection at the Natural History Museum is of great historical importance. Most of the material is figured or cited, and several specimens are types or casts of types. Pterosaurs from UK localities are well represented, but foreign material is also present as original specimens and as high quality casts. The entire collection has been recorded in a database and curatorial improvements have been made, which has improved physical and virtual access to the collection. Although many of the specimens were collected as long ago as the early 1800s, they are still useful today. A full list of Natural History Museum pterosaur specimens is published, for the first time since 1888.

Key words: Pterosauria, curation, museum

5b8321ee4dca4_ScreenShot2018-08-26at23_55_33.thumb.png.3cd30d5b3aa2cb88a3beb9c28d043db8.png

5b83220cbd963_ScreenShot2018-08-26at23_55_17.thumb.png.fda9e8c9743f73861789f18319c478ca.png

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived