Megalodon

Udderly Abducted

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this, so I need some help. I originally purchased a small megalodon tooth from a reputable seller earlier this year, so I’m not worried about it. I just purchased two decent size ones yesterday at a gun show. I’m almost positive that the broken one is real, but I’m mainly curious if the other one is real or has been restored. It’s 4 9/16 inches, and I paid $60 for it. The broken one is 4 15/16 inches, and I paid $30 for that one.

Thanks!

6AE25186-36C7-441C-A9E7-C558271C80FB.jpeg

A5D4490F-6AE2-4F9F-83CD-C8BC8BEA5FC8.jpeg

E3A4418E-049D-4F57-B5EA-A8A9102CA03A.jpeg

BE0B2CBE-B047-464B-BEFD-BA6C9E3B0D55.jpeg

448B8790-F91F-4AE5-B283-63D0BB6B5135.jpeg

304E022F-1BB2-4C52-9CBE-D92A1FEE3A8C.jpeg

1023251E-303D-487E-9A3E-07BF645218A6.jpeg

In my view, it doesn't look fixed, it seems to be sold as is from my view. If it was restored, it would be in much better condition or better presented.

Also, given how common meg teeth are, they would most likely be real, it would just cost too much to fake them when you can purchase these relatively cheaply on the auction site. Maybe a chance to practice shining some meg teeth? :)

Agree with the above. Middle tooth is most likely a ocean tooth from offshore, nc. The right to me looks like a Summerville, SC Meg. Ocean megs are readily available and most aren’t faked as stated above. Usually the ones you see faked or restored are the ones that break the magical 6” mark. If you have any doubts in restorations use a black light. 

Thanks for the replies!

I did try a black light, but I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. I decided to post this just in case I missed something since I’m really new.

I’m almost positive that the seller told me that the white one was a land find. I also think he said that it was from Florida, but I could be wrong. I think he said the middle one was from North or South Carolina, but I’m not sure on that either. I will have to get back with him, and write it down. He doesn’t have a store, but I did get a card with his number. I guess I got a good deal? He has more fossils...

Edited by Udderly Abducted

Not really TFF policy to say whether it was a good deal or not, the best you can do is look up the size of the tooth and compare on the auction site to see the going rates, but there are so many factors, including restoration, how it looks, etc. 

As for the broken one, I haven't actually seen one with a white root before, though admittedly I generally gloss over any meg teeth I see these days. 

Never thoughts to see what other fossils he has though, I still find it a little funny that you're purchasing fossils from a gun show though!

53 minutes ago, FrozenFlame said:

Not really TFF policy to say whether it was a good deal or not, the best you can do is look up the size of the tooth and compare on the auction site to see the going rates, but there are so many factors, including restoration, how it looks, etc. 

As for the broken one, I haven't actually seen one with a white root before, though admittedly I generally gloss over any meg teeth I see these days. 

Never thoughts to see what other fossils he has though, I still find it a little funny that you're purchasing fossils from a gun show though!

Yeah I wasn't expecting to find them there either! I saw some trilobites earlier this year at another gun show, but other than that, I haven’t ever seen anything like this at one. I also bought a mosasaurus tooth from him. I wasn’t even planning on buying anything. Totally made my day!

Edited by Udderly Abducted