Deinonychus4.jpg.143fc9ba76c34301aadae419c9c2f5b4.jpg

Fast. Intelligent. Deadly. The "Raptor" is perhaps one of the most famous dinosaur today thanks to Jurassic Park. To many people's surprise however, raptors are heavily feathered and nimbler than movies would have you believe. The Jurassic Park Velociraptor was merely the size of coyote in real life! In fact, their proper family name is 'Dromaeosaurid'. The largest species was Utahraptor, and it grew to the size of a grizzly bear! Dromaeosaurid fossils have been found all over the world. They first appeared during the Cretaceous, though isolated teeth have been found in the mid-Jurassic. Allow me to present my humble collection of Dromaeosaurid teeth.

First up, from Cloverly Formation, one of my pride and joy from @hxmendoza

Deinonychus.thumb.jpg.480f2d901439cb51094e8b2467e5c281.jpg

A dromaeosaurid from Aguja Formation. I am seeing more Aguja fossils showing up, but dromaeosaurid teeth are still rare.

Aguja-raptor.jpg.734e17a9c25481e2f9c23e9c80472d3b.jpg

Now, for the dromaeosaurids from the famous Hell Creek Formation. Some of them probably lived alongside T. rex. A big shout-out for @Troodon for getting me started on dromaeosaurids with this very first Acheroraptor!

Acheroraptor.thumb.jpg.91865f56d97adf186870ff2a74f410aa.jpg

5b83ec535afe7_Acheroraptor2.thumb.jpg.f5ae60d2a6a2cf230c21c1c9a724f061.jpg

Dakotaraptor.thumb.jpg.0172d0d57877c8a7672363d2c92f95e3.jpg

ZapsalisA.thumb.jpg.cb36fa218e184fab9223dd208b2846e2.jpg

ZapsalisB.jpg.2521168afb60d7a466eafb5454da698e.jpg

• I found this Informative 13
  • Enjoyed 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Continuing with USA raptors, we have the classic Dromaeosaurus from Judith River Formation

Dromaeosaurus.thumb.jpg.7b679fc931a874c054fb0125fd861645.jpg

Sauronitholestes.jpg.2415a0017029ee1733e8308297746349.jpg

A rarely-seen Two Medicine Formation dromaeosaurid:

Richardoestesia.thumb.jpg.b4763fecd8c9de64aeed1a6c8afc909b.jpg

A Canadian dromaeosaurid:

Atrociraptor.jpg.d99629b62db8afd486f7c697074c8961.jpg

Finally, the good ol' Moroccan raptor. Take note that dromaeosaurids aren't officially described in the Kem Kem Beds, and that specimen #2 and #3 could very well be indeterminate theropods.

Moroccan_Raptor.thumb.jpg.1c0bfdfb64f27bb7207132ad0cde03aa.jpg

Moroccan_Raptor2.thumb.jpg.448eb6de8209a829d5cbaac90430889d.jpg

Moroccan-raptor-3.thumb.jpg.b589d871d2c25c5f9d44ce786ca9ad5c.jpg

• I found this Informative 16
  • Enjoyed 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Wonderful dromaeosaurid teeth :) That's one neat collection ya got there.. Mind PM'ing me details about how you obtained some of those teeth (if any were bought, that is)? ;) 

-Christian 

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Great stuff  Andy happy to see your growing Dromaeosaurid  collection.    Hopefully some day soon we can put some closure to those teeth from the Kem Kem

Awesome teeth!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Great stuff  Andy happy to see your growing Dromaeosaurid  collection.    Hopefully some day soon we can put some closure to those teeth from the Kem Kem

Thanks Frank. Hopefully in the next decade or so, we will get our answers.

Really nice teeth. Your images are great for reference and study!  Thank you for posting!

45 minutes ago, bcfossilcollector said:

Really nice teeth. Your images are great for reference and study!  Thank you for posting!

Thanks. Take note that the just sideview pictures aren't enough. Juvenile tyrannosaurid teeth often bear great resemblance to raptor teeth, and there's also the issue of Moroccan theropods.

Serration count, close-ups of denticles, front view, back view, cross section etc are all needed to make a proper diagnosis.

This tooth for instance, was assumed to be a Moroccan raptor for a while. It was thin enough, slightly recurved, and even had the correct denticle/5mm count. But it turned out to be an Abelisaurid!

Abelisaur_A.thumb.jpg.fa8f1128e2bee9702708be488a8946a8.jpg

35 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

This tooth for instance, was assumed to be a Moroccan raptor for a while. It was thin enough, slightly recurved, and even had the correct denticle/5mm count. But it turned out to be an Abelisaurid!

Not sure this tooth is an Abelisaurid, denticles dont look right.  Checked out Richter paper look at E and F Denticles and shape.  they call it Dromaeosaurid.   What do the mesial serrations look like hard to see in your photo.

Screenshot_20180831-194309.thumb.jpg.853cf54fe34d4cfc087a62d56a4b6323.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

@Troodon Henry earlier told me it's a Abelisaurid tooth from the dentary position.

20180901_230639.jpg

20180901_230742.jpg

20180901_230745.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

30 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Those are better views of the denticles and these look more Abelisaurid than Dromaeosaurid 

Those sneaky Abelisaurids. Seems that they account for at least 80% of wrong Dromaeosaurid IDs.

Really nice collection here Andy!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

• 1 year later...

Andy how are u taking these great pictures? I have a usb camera that i was taking pics with from my phone but now the app is not compatible and the new app i have does not take great pics. 

16 hours ago, Joebiwan3 said:

Andy how are u taking these great pictures? I have a usb camera that i was taking pics with from my phone but now the app is not compatible and the new app i have does not take great pics. 

I use a standard DSLR camera with zoom, and I further sharpen the pictures with Photoshop. Your best bet is to use a camera with macro lens.

• I found this Informative 2