Any Maryland Eocene sites?

Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone,

I don’t know if I put this in the right place, mods and admins feel free to move it.

I am getting jealous of the transitional Otodus and auriculatus I am seeing from the Potomac. These, I assume, are from the Nanjemoy Formation. While every now and then some of this will wash to the Paleocene aged Aquia Formation of Purse state park, it is not reliable. I’d like to hunt Maryland’s Eocene so I can cross that off my list. Now there is also the secretive Old Church formation which exists, but I have not heard much about it. Are there any sites that are accessible by land? Regrettably, the family car has no attachment area for a boat carrier, and a kayak won’t fit in it (and I’ve never kayaked the Potomac so I don’t know how fast the currents are). If there is a person to contact to ask for permission, I’d be fine with that. Any leads would be appropriate, typically I’d take matters into my own hands but info is scarce and the geologic map shows the overlying Pleistocene and Holocene deposits rather than the Eocene. Don’t hesitate to PM me. Thanks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

46 minutes ago, Plax said:

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/pp1346

page 72

I think this site is also in "Fossil Collecting in Maryland" book. Am also thinking that Nanjemoy fossils have been posted from this site on the forum. Could be wrong though as am going by memory.

Popes creek I’ve heard is not accessible by land, they will tow and have no tresspassing signs. I don’t actually have “Fossil Collecting in Maryland” yet, though I should get it. Thanks for the help though! lots of info on those pages.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Don't know how you've done without that book. When I was getting interested in fossils seriously I got the two Horace Richards Cretaceous Fossils of New Jersey volumes and Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania. Living in SE PA for many years these served me well. There are some books you simply shouldn't be without.

• I found this Informative 1

32 minutes ago, Plax said:

Don't know how you've done without that book. When I was getting interested in fossils seriously I got the two Horace Richards Cretaceous Fossils of New Jersey volumes and Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania. Living in SE PA for many years these served me well. There are some books you simply shouldn't be without.

I’m surprised I’ve gotten this far myself. Most of the sites I know are from word of mouth of finding them myself. I am slowly accumulating more books, starting with the books by the Maryland Geological Survey. They are online, but I much prefer them in print. Other books I have on my list include the aforementioned one and “Maryland’s Geology.” From there I’ll move on to more things. I’m gonna need a library to house all these, so much to learn so little time.

Happy hunting,

Mason