Spies In The Woods.

Traviscounty

The best prize may be the wonder and excitement in your kid's eyes...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon

I would change that a little to "wonder and excitement in SOME kids' eyes" - unfortunately, not in MY daughter's eyes. The first sabercat skull I brought home, I was so excited (natch) and couldn't wait to show her. I opened the box, unwrapped it, and proudly showed it to her. No visible or auditory response. "Honey, don't you know what this is?" "Yeah," she said, "it's one of those big tooth tigers, or cats, or whatevers." I didn't bother with the second one.

I would change that a little to "wonder and excitement in SOME kids' eyes" - unfortunately, not in MY daughter's eyes. The first sabercat skull I brought home, I was so excited (natch) and couldn't wait to show her. I opened the box, unwrapped it, and proudly showed it to her. No visible or auditory response. "Honey, don't you know what this is?" "Yeah," she said, "it's one of those big tooth tigers, or cats, or whatevers." I didn't bother with the second one.

I've showed some of my friends things that I have found. The most popular response is " Oh..you found a rock." :) I love it!

well, you realize, of course, that if you dig out an old fossil, look at it, and then make sure you put it somewhere where nobody else will probably ever see it again, like maybe the mariana trench, then you're the only person to ever see that fossil, which makes you special.

I love it that my kid loves this stuff. Funny though how everything she finds is hers and everything I find is hers. I keep finding some of my best stuff in her room and now she says she needs a display cabinet for all the stuff she's been finding!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Spy on me in the woods and you'll eventually see something that turns your stomach.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Spy on me in the woods and you'll eventually see something that turns your stomach.....

Ha! They might catch you marking your spot. ;)

...on some days all it takes is being downwind... <_<

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You can show me a saber-skull, I'll promise you that I'll get excited, I might even call you daddy.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o You guys are killing me! I laughed so hard my stomach hurts!!

Brent, that's hilarious and super scary wrong all at the same time!:blink::o

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest Smilodon

You cn show me a saber-skull, I'll promise you that I'll get excited, I might even call you daddy.

Brent Ashcraft

I truly did Laugh Out Loud on that one! :D:D:D

well did you stop at that area when you left?sorry no teeth when you came down.i didnt find a message area on here or i would have posted on it.

well did you stop at that area when you left?sorry no teeth when you came down.i didnt find a message area on here or i would have posted on it.

Yeah, I did. Really cool, found some stuff. Will be going back! :)

Its difficult keeping your hunting grounds to yourself.... but it is nice to try and keep the 'commercially motivated collectors' at bay if you can.... Sometimes I collect a number of a fossil to trade with, but this is proving a waste of time these days... theres to many after a quick buck on ebay.... driving the value of your finds down...Shame, but as a result I just do my own thing, and am learning to keep my mouth shut until im finished collecting somewhere...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I wish some folk could hang around the next day or so and see the damage Harvest Collecting can do to a site.

After my wife almost drowned in the GMR because some greedy idiot dug a huge hole with a sump pump, I learned to be very private about any new site I find. :angry:

Be true to the reality you create.

I wish some folk could hang around the next day or so and see the damage Harvest Collecting can do to a site.

After my wife almost drowned in the GMR because some greedy idiot dug a huge hole with a sump pump, I learned to be very private about any new site I find. :angry:

Wow Frank, sorry to hear about that. Something like that really takes it to a different level. :mellow:

I'll admit I have mixed feelings on this topic. In my first trip report on this forum I very specifically put in the GPS coordinates for the sites I found/visited. I haven't seen anyone else do this to-date and I'll admit to debating with myself whether I would do it a second time.

Here's why: when I started exploring this interest in fossils I found it very difficult to find any site information on any "fossil" forums/blogs/pages etc. It doesn't help that I live in Washington state which is very "new" geology-wise and doesn't have a lot of the more interesting stuff. I eventually gave up looking at these sites as they all seemed to basically go like this: "Here are Gramps, Joe and me at the you-know-where site. Some of you might recognize it from the hill structure... wink wink". Not particularly helpful to the newbie starting out -- pretty much felt like an old boys club where I had no chance of ever getting in.

I abandoned the fossil sites and decided to do it old school. I dug up a bunch of geologist reports (geologists love writing reports) and was lucky to find some with area descriptions or section map descriptions that I was able to distill down to pretty decent locations (with the help of Google Earth and others). Now I can easily imagine that some of you will say "that's the way it should be" but I would submit that I am also somewhat stubborn and more willing to do the research than others would or have the time for.

Dave

Yes, every year geologists affiliated with various groups (AAPG, SEPM, etc.) go on field trips in just about every state and they publish a group of articles about the area they visited with a road log that gives you exact directions with the mileage. You will probably not get rich at any of those sites but you will find some fossils where they note they found some. But it's like you said, the average person doesn't want to put in the time. If you have time to go looking for fossils, you have time to go to the library.

I know some good sites but they are either sites I learned about collecting with a friend or sites I found prospecting not far from those sites, so I don't say anything about them. It's really easy: don't betray a friend's confidence. I was told of a guy who found a nice trilobite site in Nevada. He took another collector out there after swearing him to secrecy and with the promise that he wouldn't go out there unless they went together. Well, of course, on a weekend when the friend thought the first guy was on vacation, he went out there with his brother or another friend and started major quarrying. The first guy happened to drive out there that day and caught him breaking two promises.

Also, some sites need some weathering over a few years before they're worth checking them out again. Few people are that patient.

I couldn't imagine selling a fossil that I actually found. That would be heartbreaking for me. I don't know how people do it. I can't even manage to sell fossils that I have bought. And my wife loves me for it.... ;)

Fossils have much more intrinsic value than extrinsic, for me anyway........

Yes, I don't avidly collect fossil echinoids but I have hunted them because I like looking for my own fossils. I have some Astrodapsis specimens and even more Dendraster. I have sold/traded a few because I had so many but keep some (unusually large or small or especially well-preserved or with signs of predation and healing) and will probably never let them go. I've also run into people who became friends and who have given me specimens that they collected in previous decades and I intend to keep those too.

• 2 weeks later...

You know there are places you share and there are places you share with few. We have a friend that we share all our spots with b/c he keeps it to himself and he shares locations with us. He even brings us fossils from collecting trips he goes on that we dont and we do the same for him. I have known people in the past that we took to spots but never took us to any of theirs. It is just a matter of trust of course the wishes of the land owners also.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

I agree about keeping somethings to yourself. Like the NSR, everyone knows about it, it has a book out about it, But there are still places people don't go to, don't know about, hard to get to, not spelled out for them. Those I keep to myself or share with a few friends. The well known places I don't mind telling newbies about, but the lesser traveled spots, I pray not too many people find.