Fossil Identification Please

scottmarsland

Hi experts, my daughter is going through a Dinosaur phase so i took her to Kingsbarns beach in fife, Scotland to hunt for fossils. Alas we did not find a an intact tyrannosaurus or a complete fish fossil, however we did pick up a couple of potentially interesting rocks. I would be most grateful if you could advise what they are. The first one (2 photos) we hope might be a tooth and the 2nd possibly a fern root (i did a wee google,). Thanking you in advance for your time and knowledge, the forum is a wonderful resource, thanks for sharing, regards Scott.

20180827_161805.jpg

20180827_161731.jpg

The forum IS a wonderful resource and now that you're here, welcome to it. :)

Your first rock has what looks like fossil bits on the end. If these are fossil bits which are embedded, then you don't have a bone or tooth. @ynot can probably tell you the nature of this stone. Is reddish it's natural color or product of photography?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The rocks at Kingsbarn are sandstones with some siltstones, Carboniferous in age. 

These rocks look like some of the more compacted sandstone pebbles, very close to quartzite. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow, thank you for such quick, honest and insightful reply's. The rock above indeed does show signs of a red hue when held in natural light. Please see below the rock that i think might be part of a root of a fern tree (i could not upload earlier due to image size). The area we went fossil hunting is i believe known for containing plant fossils.

20180827_161837.jpg

Yes, I think this is Stigmaria, the roots of Lepidodendron, the 'scale tree':)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

like some of the more compacted sandstone pebbles, very close to quartzite. 

That would explain the conchoidal fractures I see.:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks folks, i genuinely appreciate you reviewing our, no doubt mundane fossil`s and taking the time to reply and educate me. Below are our the last couple of finds. One is some form of worm, i think and the other a couple of rocks that contain, again, im guessing deformed shells (crustaceans) my is thinking due to pressure/weight the shells shape is deformed/compacted?? All in all we had a great day out that has sparked an interest in the subject and a thirst for knowledge from my daughter which i am keen to encourage. I note the reply`s are from Morocco and USA and yet you have a knowledge of a small Beach in Kingsbarns Scotland, which is very impressive. 

Thanks again for reviewing our pictures and bid you a good night.

Ynot

Innocentx

Tidgy`s dad

20180827_162200.thumb.jpg.2b2248c9c5a334a0dcb8f0ca393c1254.jpg

Archived