Smooth ammonite from Guizhou

Crazyhen

This ammonite is from Guanling, Guizhou.  It’s special in that it is very smooth, while the surrounding small ammonites have ornamentation.  Any idea which species is that or why it is so smooth?  Thanks!

359E107E-8C1B-4D1D-9449-8437C1FC9DB1.jpeg

5933E810-B6F3-4B3D-8FBA-201005563272.jpeg

I don't know the genera or species off the top of my head, but they remind me of some Triassic ammonites I have seen from British Columbia.  I am not saying that this specimen is from BC, just that it has a Triassic aspect to me.

Don

I think the 'ornamentaion' has been largely removed, it can still be seen in the centre and around the edges. Unless I'm just seeing things and its actually another unusually placed ammonite in the middle.

Maybe this topic helps:

:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I usually dont care for the flat ammos, but this one is purty cool.  My only question is,   what is the size of this rock?

RB

57 minutes ago, RJB said:

I usually dont care for the flat ammos, but this one is purty cool.  My only question is,   what is the size of this rock?

RB

The rock is about 20cm and the big ammonite is about 8cm.

3 hours ago, Foozil said:

I think the 'ornamentaion' has been largely removed, it can still be seen in the centre and around the edges. Unless I'm just seeing things and its actually another unusually placed ammonite in the middle.

As far as I know, this slab was manually prepped and the smooth surface of the big ammonite is like that, without removing any ornamentation.  We can see that other small ammonites retain their ornamentation, and I would say it was quite nicely prepped.

8 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

As far as I know, this slab was manually prepped and the smooth surface of the big ammonite is like that, without removing any ornamentation.  We can see that other small ammonites retain their ornamentation, and I would say it was quite nicely prepped.

Fair enough, and yeah the prep is fantastic! 

Are we sure this wasn't acid prepped like the lizards ( Keichousaurus) are?  If you look close to this edge, you can see parts of what may have been remnants of the actual outer surface, with decoration.

20180827_175558.png

I agree that most of the ornamentation appears to be missing from the large specimen. The small specimen in the upper left appears to be sitting directly on the smooth surface. If so, then the ornamentation was likely missing before fossilisation.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Archived