Zapsalis

Hello. This is most likely a stupid question, but I was wondering if it is possible to purchase polar dinosaur fossils. If so, where could I purchase some? Polar as from Alaska, Canada or Australia (near where the north and south poles were located during the Mesozoic). I’ve always had an interest in polar dinosaurs. 

Not a stupid question at all.  I think many of us dinosaur fossil collectors find dinosaur fossils from these locations unique and special because they have some interesting adaptations to their environment.  I have seen a few here or there but I am not liking the odds.  Have not seen any dinosaur fossils from Alaska, Northern Canada, or Antarctica.

• I found this Informative 2

I haven't seen anything from Alaska or Canada, but Canada has some strict laws depending on the state from what I have seen, which may prevent any fossils for sale here. 

As for Australian law, you need a permit to export out of the country if the specimen isn't well represented or is a significant find (no permit if the specimen is  not significant or well researched). That said, I haven't seen any polar dinos either unfortunately, though I'd love to get my hands on one! 

Never seen anything for sale from Alaska that was collected on private land.  The only out from Canada is that if it has a disposition and that material does occasionally hit the market but most of it is from the lower part of Alberta.

23 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Not a stupid question at all.  I think many of us dinosaur fossil collectors find dinosaur fossils from these locations unique and special because they have some interesting adaptations to their environment.  I have seen a few here or there but I am not liking the odds.  Have not seen any dinosaur fossils from Alaska, Northern Canada, or Antarctica.

Agreed! These dinosaurs are soooo cool! Did you see any Aussie dinosaur fossils (such as Dinosaur Cove)?

17 minutes ago, FrozenFlame said:

I haven't seen anything from Alaska or Canada, but Canada has some strict laws depending on the state from what I have seen, which may prevent any fossils for sale here. 

As for Australian law, you need a permit to export out of the country if the specimen isn't well represented or is a significant find (no permit if the specimen is  not significant or well researched). That said, I haven't seen any polar dinos either fortunately, though I'd love to get my hands on one! 

I see. I hope to buy one from a dealer, because I live in America and I can’t even afford to travel out of my own state. 

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Never seen anything for sale from Alaska that was collected on private land.  The only out from Canada is that if it has a disposition and that material does occasionally hit the market but most of it is from the lower part of Alberta.

Okay. Do you know any dealers that sell any lower Alberta material, at least? If so, please note me! :D

17 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

Agreed! These dinosaurs are soooo cool! Did you see any Aussie dinosaur fossils (such as Dinosaur Cove)?

I see. I hope to buy one from a dealer, because I live in America and I can’t even afford to travel out of my own state. 

Okay. Do you know any dealers that sell any lower Alberta material, at least? If so, please note me! :D

I'll pm you but the ones I've seen have mostly come from the Tucson show.  The dealer I will tell you about bought them from there.

Just now, Troodon said:

I'll pm you but the ones I've seen have mostly come from the Tucson show.  The dealer I will tell you about bought them from there.

I find it pretty funny sometimes that I've bought some specimens that originally came from Australia, back from the US. Do you happen to have a list of some of the specimens? I'm interested to see what actually is available, I don't see anything locally :( 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Okay, thank you! :D

3 minutes ago, FrozenFlame said:

I find it pretty funny sometimes that I've bought some specimens that originally came from Australia, back from the US. Do you happen to have a list of some of the specimens? I'm interested to see what actually is available, I don't see anything locally :( 

Sorry, don’t know why I quoted you! I’m so sorry. :doh!:

1 minute ago, FrozenFlame said:

Never seen Australian just Canadian

17 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

Good luck finding vertebrate material from that area, as museums are the only ones allowed to dig there. Of course someone may have illegally collected some or a little bit made its way out of those museums, but I haven't personally seen any. If you do find some, let me know, i'd be curious to see it!

7 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Good luck finding vertebrate material from that area, as museums are the only ones allowed to dig there. Of course someone may have illegally collected some or a little bit made its way out of those museums, but I haven't personally seen any. If you do find some, let me know, i'd be curious to see it!

Thanks for the information! :) I would only buy material that is from private land (collected with permission), but sadly that is impossible to tell. :( If I do find anything, then I’ll make sure to post it here.

Hi.

Unfortunately, as has been said, dinosaur material is very rare in Australia. Polar dinosaurs have only been collected in Australias south and only museums and uninversities are allowed to dig. Dinosuar material can be found in some public sites in Australias north but those are rare as well. Opalised dinosaur material has been sold before but those are rare and quite expensive. Permits are required to export dinosaur material but I do not think they would allow it to be exported to a private collection.

25 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

Permits are required to export dinosaur material but I do not think they would allow it to be exported to a private collection.

You'd be surprised what can be done if you know the right people ;) 

2 hours ago, Zapsalis said:

I have seen a few Australian dinosaur fossils in collections.  However, don't expect to find any on the market :) Most likely out of a museum or the odd-chance someone had the opportunity to collect one.

1 minute ago, Runner64 said:

I have seen a few Australian dinosaur fossils in collections.  However, don't expect to find any on the market :) Most likely out of a museum or the odd-chance someone had the opportunity to collect one.

Aw, okay. Thanks for the input! :) A young dinosaur collector can still dream, though! Can’t he? :D

34 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

Aw, okay. Thanks for the input! :) A young dinosaur collector can still dream, though! Can’t he? :D

Of course! Can put it on your bucket list just like I did :D 

9 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Of course! Can put it on your bucket list just like I did :D 

Thanks! I sure will! :D How did you acquire these teeth, by the way? Could you PM me? :)

25 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

Thanks! I sure will! :D How did you acquire these teeth, by the way? Could you PM me? :)

Sorry I don’t own the teeth but I’ve seen some. Wish I did though!

If you buy "Polar dinosaurs" do you have to keep them in the freezer? :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 8/27/2018 at 10:39 PM, Runner64 said:

Sorry I don’t own the teeth but I’ve seen some. Wish I did though!

Wow, your lucky to have at least seen them, though! I’m jealous! :D

On 8/28/2018 at 6:36 AM, caldigger said:

If you buy "Polar dinosaurs" do you have to keep them in the freezer? :P

You’re right! I don’t want them to melt, do I? ;)

On 28/08/2018 at 12:26 PM, Runner64 said:

Anything good, or just unidentifiable stuff? Know which localities they were from?

As already said - nearly nothing on the legal market. This very rare material is for museums only :D

But even in big collections of the european museums these ones are very rare.

Good luck for searching - really, it's like to search the needle in the haystack.....:muahaha:

You're just not going to find these. The reason why should be pretty obvious: polar expeditions are extremely expensive and generally do not have high yield because you have limited time and limited access to rocks. Because of this, polar expeditions are almost entirely conducted by scientific personnel and therefore none of the material will ever end up on the market.

1 hour ago, jdp said:

You're just not going to find these. The reason why should be pretty obvious: polar expeditions are extremely expensive and generally do not have high yield because you have limited time and limited access to rocks. Because of this, polar expeditions are almost entirely conducted by scientific personnel and therefore none of the material will ever end up on the market.

All of the dino material from northern AK is on BLM land.  It is illegal to own privately.  So you never see it for sale.  It is difficult to get to, very expensive to get to and not very rich (except for one site).  Anyone who would be selling AK dino material would be sending up three red flags for the fossil police.

Are you familiar with Ray Troll's Alaska Fossil Map.  It is pretty cool.  

https://store.trollart.com/FOSSIL-MAP-OF-ALASKA-AND-THE-YUKON.html

I have a copy hanging outside my office.  : )