[videos & photos] My collection of fake fossils

adriano

Hello everyone,

I'm an Italian amateur collector with a small but nice collection of fossils and minerals that I started when I was 5yo in 1995. Then at 15yo I put apart my passion until few days ago when, using my 3D printer, I made some nice modular drawer to reorder in my collection of +-1000 pieces. I will finish the project in the next weeks and I will share it with you, as it can be of inspiration for your collection as well.

Doing this hard work, I looked with a more mature point of view some big fossils that my parents and friends (not experts!) gave me as present many years ago. I already noticed that some are painted or assembled, but I would like to hear your opinion about them.

#1 Let's start with a good one. This was a present from my mom, so I know she spent not few moneys to buy this fossil fish. I think that it 99% real. My only concern is the right side/section of the matrix that has a change in color (you can see it in the video). Maybe just a not-too-bad restoration...

I drew circles around fishes with the pencil when I was a child... I should delete them! :doh!:

IMG_20180828_092920.jpg

#2 Now a bad one... In this example I noticed that maybe the fish body is real (but low quality), it is mounted on a new matrix, and fins are painted... Am I right?

IMG_20180828_093059.jpg

#3 Another bad one... This ammonoidea seems painted. The matrix has some fossil shells, it is cracked and repaired (you can see the crack in the video, back side). I'm wondering if it is totally fake/sculpted or only painted. What do you think?

IMG_20180828_093149.jpg

#4 The last assembled fossil fish. This one is funny! Sedimentary layers are not parallel with the fossil... :hearty-laugh:

Overall I think that the body is real but bad preserved and with some painting. What do you think?

IMG_20180828_093019y.jpg

IMG_20180828_093024x.jpg

#5 This was one of the first fossils of my collection. I personally bought it in Morocco in 1995. I think that this is a real one, joint is perfect. Agree with me?

IMG_20180828_092950y.jpg

IMG_20180828_092936y.jpg

#6 Finally, the last piece: a cambropallas trilobite. About this one, I know that it was bought in a good shop and I think it is not too bad. I'm not sure about the matrix (see the back side), but the main body seems real. It, of course, has some restorations. I'm looking to hear from you.

IMG_20180828_092855.jpg

IMG_20180828_092859.jpg

IMG_20180828_092842.jpg

Final thoughts... I'm considering giving away false ones, in particular #2, #3 and #4. But it is also nice to have them to show how fossils are faked/retouched - I think they're part of the amateur paleontology history. I hope you appreciate the photos/videos I took to show some of my fossils.

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Welcome to the Forum, Adriano. :)

Good news!  #4 is actually NOT assembled.  :) 

It is a Rhacolepis bucallis from the Early Cretaceous Santana Formation in Brazil. 

These fish are found in nodules, and often poorly prepped. But real. 

#2 is an assembled piece. It too, is a Rhacolepis, but  placed in fake matrix and heavily painted.  :( 

Sometimes the nodules do not break nicely, and you only get a view of the bottom or top of the fish, rather than the side of the fish.

There is not much detail for most people to make out an actual fish, aside from the scales.  

The first trilobite is real, as well. Maybe a Flexicalymene ouzregui.

Trilobites molted their exoskeleton as they grew, much like modern crustaceans. 

Your fossil is a cephalon, or head shield, and part of a thorax molt. 

The Cambropallas is part real, part carved. 

I hope this helps.  :) 

Kind regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

hmmm.... that first trilobite reminds me of calymene trilos. :headscratch:

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

2 hours ago, MRfossilMISTER said:

hmmm.... that first trilobite reminds me of calymene trilos. :headscratch:

It's a close relative from the same family, the Calymenidae, but is probably Flexicalymene ouzregui, as Tim said, though there is a similar looking species of  Colpocoryphe found here too. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks everyone! I really appreciated your opinion, in particular IDs infos given by @Fossildude19
While reordering my collection, I'm also writing a nice Excel with all names, origins, eras, etc... Your infos are really useful!

Roughly thirty years ago, I bought the twin brother of your fossil #5. Like yours, it has legitimate fossil material on both sides of the split that fit together perfectly, and there was no attempt to make it look like a more impressive display specimen.

12 hours ago, T. Nielsen Hayden said:

Roughly thirty years ago, I bought the twin brother of your fossil #5. Like yours, it has legitimate fossil material on both sides of the split that fit together perfectly, and there was no attempt to make it look like a more impressive display specimen.

It would be nice if you share with us a photo! :)

Any clue about the ammonoidea? Is it sculpted?

Have a nice day!

Archived