Headed To Big Brook

TonyC

Headed out to Big Brook tomorrow.  We have a few hot spots for belemnites and oysters but not so for shark teeth. When we explore this area we always head downstream of the bridge.  Is it worth exploring upstream of the bridge?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Which bridge? Are you parking at Boundary Road or Hillsdale Road? 

I've always parked at Hillsdale, and have found some decent teeth west of the Hillsdale Road bridge. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Boundary rd bridge entry was closed when I went 1.5 weeks ago with my boys and some friends. No trespassing signs and fencing. We had to go to hillsdale, where they are constructing a new bridge. Everyone was concentrated collecting at hillsdale. I would head away from the crowd if you enter at hillsdale,  or consider ramanessin. 

We usually park at Hillsdale and head East (down stream).  Last time I went the bridge was under construction.  We parked a bit aways and walked over.  Not too many people as it was mid-week.  

If you are looking for shark teeth, I would also recommend Raminessin. You won't get those belemnites or oysters but you will find shark teeth.

I also recommend Ramanessin for shark, ray, and fish teeth. Crustacean parts and marine reptile remains can also be found there.

22 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I also recommend Ramanessin for shark, ray, and fish teeth. Crustacean parts and marine reptile remains can also be found there.

Is there an address that is most useful for Ramanessin?  Not from NJ.  Thanks in advance.  

Has pretty good success today.  Went upstream and focused on finding teeth.  Dug and sifted through a lot of rocks.  Found some nice teeth and a lot of Belemnites as well but left a lot of them in the river.  Also found what I think is a piece of Sea Urchin shell and a vert (I think it is at least).  Don't think the vert is fish or shark. Also have something else which I'll be posting in the Identification forum.  Could be rock or could be....I have no idea.  

5b87163a6f5a4_WROTZZIRmaoTGIswfenA_thumb_3dc.thumb.jpg.346264df8af13c8854543eb9db7952d2.jpg4LOH7VKGQIanhmW4dl0S0Q_thumb_3dd.thumb.jpg.b55e9688a1cbc072ec85989b868f0f41.jpg5b87163ddbc4f_ETyU8Le8ST2eor9JQ4mvg_thumb_3e1.thumb.jpg.535050361fb8d953a4ea03156cbb1a80.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d9.thumb.jpg.efee6d12edb54648da568d7ef7cb63ab.jpgmwfl4odBTTCbfXrAtTdHwA_thumb_3e0.thumb.jpg.289e24e1d0386471aa00861a98d4fbf8.jpg

1P5+iUWJTeG5FB1ofQwoKw_thumb_3de.jpg

kOtWmR7WQ9WDGCbLMPIZlA_thumb_3df.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3da.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3db.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d7.jpg

Nice thresher and other teeth. The "urchin shell" is possibly a fish skull frag or some other bone, need better pics. The "vert" doesn't seem like a Cretaceous vert. It may be part of a Cretaceous limb bone or a Pleistocene bone of some sort. The elongated item is a concretion.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

What's up with the Boundary Rd entrance?  Is that a temporary or permanent state of affairs?

Don

Road is now open.  They opened the bridge today.  

2 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Nice thresher and other teeth. The "urchin shell" is possibly a fish skull frag or some other bone, need better pics. The "vert" doesn't seem like a Cretaceous vert. It may be part of a Cretaceous limb bone or a Pleistocene bone of some sort. The elongated item is a concretion.

Concretion.  Bummer. Thanks for the feedback.  

Nice finds!

I'd love to see some pics of the oysters you found :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

20 hours ago, TonyC said:

Road is now open.  They opened the bridge today.  

I think you're talking about the Hillsdale Rd. bridge. Boundary Rd entrance remains fenced off with a No Trespassing warning. You can still park there though.

Just now, Jeffrey P said:

I think you're talking about the Hillsdale Rd. bridge. Boundary Rd entrance remains fenced off with a No Trespassing warning. You can still park there though.

Yes, the bridge on Hillsdale Road has been closed but was re-opened yesterday.  I saw the No Trespassing signs on Boundary Rd so we stayed away from that immediate area.  We worked the areas between Hillsdale and Boundary.  

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Nice finds!

I'd love to see some pics of the oysters you found :) 

Here's an example of a typical oyster you can find in Big Brook.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3e2.thumb.jpg.d9699c0d1710abdd8b368c01f5bedf34.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3e3.thumb.jpg.6a73472313ac8a13125ee929479b3f5a.jpg

image.png

Now that's a beauty!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 8/30/2018 at 2:29 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Well they also removed the fossil park rules sign and repainted the shoulder lines giving less room.  I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a no parking sign soon.    I think there's actually one a little up the road.  I think they in the process of  shutting it down

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Argh! The ages old battle of Boundary Road continues. If it is still the same landowner from the 90’s I wouldn’t be surprised. I used to skip over that stretch along his property by going in upstream thru the ball park. 

PS teeth can be found pretty much along the entire stretch from above Boundary Rd to below Hillsdale.  

Archived