Fossils from Folkestone, Kent

Marlowe

I've just come back from a lovely fossil hunting trip in Folkestone!

Here's what we found *unpreped* in 3 hours:

5b856f85c7c51_20180828_1649161.thumb.jpg.9cae529eb3ca9e0f35c95edd84651c2d.jpg

Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area, i'll post more photos when they're clean!

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Looks like a very productive haul you got there ;) looking forward to future updates!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Nice! 

I have fond memories of huge success collecting in the Lower Greensand, and particularly the Gault Clay. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The coiled ammonites are mostly a variety of species of the family Hoplitidae.

The straight ammonites are Hamites, as I recall.

The crab may be Notopocorystes broderii.

The belemnites : Neohibolites minimus.

The smooth bivalves are Birostrina concentrica and the ribbed ones Birostrina sulcata. 

:)Nice collection. 

(some of these names may be a bit old) 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That’s a great haul! I was going to take a visit out there last week but I had to change my plans. I’m hoping I can go next week though. I hope you left enough for me to collect! :P

3 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

That’s a great haul! I was going to take a visit out there last week but I had to change my plans. I’m hoping I can go next week though. I hope you left enough for me to collect! :P

Don't worry, I only collected less than 1/10 of the ones we saw! In an area ~30 CM squared between the boulders you can see 20+ fossils around copt point! -mostly ammonite fragments and belemnites but a few are complete!

14 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Don't worry, I only collected less than 1/10 of the ones we saw! In an area ~30 CM squared between the boulders you can see 20+ fossils around copt point! -mostly ammonite fragments and belemnites but a few are complete!

I’ve been watching videos of fossil findings at Copt Point and they seem numerous. I don’t mind fragmentary, though whole finds are obviously welcomed! 

• 1 year later...

I will probably visit Folkestone later this year. I hope it's still worth visiting :) 

I've done some reading on the location but if I could get some hints and tips from people who already visited that place I would be happy :) 

Regards,

Joeri