BLT

Hello, I’ve been trying to learn to identify the various bits and pieces on hash plates from my yard in middle Tennessee. I’m wondering if this one has a few trilo-bits in it. If not, can anyone tell me what they are? 

BA08B5F0-1669-4654-BA08-C26DFBBF4ECA.jpeg

EAF33D25-CC89-43CA-8BBB-A173B1C05E36.jpeg

A3AB1E6A-CD54-4047-A3DB-901D3DBB913D.jpeg

Could you point out which part you are referring to as a partial trilobite?

Regards, indominus rex

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

3 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

Could you point out which part you are referring to as a partial trilobite?

Regards, indominus rex

It’s the horseshoe shaped area I circled in red that I am most curious about. ~ Tracey

36AA4EA5-C21C-4328-A2BE-80C2E2F978C0.jpeg

Could you get any closer pictures?

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Looks like a part of trilobite cephalon, to me. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

12 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

Could you get any closer pictures?

I’ve tried zooming in even closer, but the pictures are too blurred. 

F8A5E9C2-0A7C-448B-A8EE-2DC3EA57F773.jpeg

43BD24FD-984E-408C-BB82-F391A9EB9D52.jpeg

9 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

Could be part of a brim to a Cryptolithus cephalon.

Cryptolithusappendages.jpg

It does look a lot like one. Thanks!

I suppose it could be a bryozoan.  :headscratch::shrug:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 minute ago, Peat Burns said:

I'm still not seeing a trilobite.  I thought Cryptolithus, too, but this is Mississippian :headscratch:

Hmm. I’ve often wondered if a lot of the rocks in my yard were brought here from other places by previous owners. (My home is nearly 90 years old.) However, considering where this rock was found (partially exposed in a creek embankment on the side of our yard), I believe it was formed here.

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I suppose it could be a bryozoan.  :headscratch::shrug:

That’s what I initially thought, but it doesn’t look like the other bryozoa I’ve found. Maybe so though. :headscratch:

That's also what i think, a bryozoan. That's a good beginning.:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, BLT said:

Hmm. I’ve often wondered if a lot of the rocks in my yard were brought here from other places by previous owners. (My home is nearly 90 years old.) However, considering where this rock was found (partially exposed in a creek embankment on the side of our yard), I believe it was formed here.

Some of your previous finds that you posted definitely contained fragments of Cryptolithus, so those were not Mississippian. Were those from the same location as these rocks?

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

21 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

Some of your previous finds that you posted definitely contained fragments of Cryptolithus, so those were not Mississippian. Were those from the same location as these rocks?

Hmm. Yes, everything I have posted thus far have been finds from either in my yard or in the creek bordering it. Several of the larger stepping stones in my yard (which I have not posted) appear to be coquina(?) which I do not think is found in my area. 

16 minutes ago, BLT said:

Hmm. Yes, everything I have posted thus far have been finds from either in my yard or in the creek bordering it. Several of the larger stepping stones in my yard (which I have not posted) appear to be coquina(?) which I do not think is found in my area. 

In that case, I think most of the rocks and fossils you are finding are Ordovician. Much of middle TN has ridges capped by the cherty Mississippian Fort Payne formation, with Ordovician (and occasionally Silurian or Devonian in the Western areas) rocks exposed in the valleys. The lower part of the Fort Payne contains lenses of crinoidal limestone, so slabs can often be found far below the original outcrop, mixed in with the older rocks.

9 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

In that case, I think most of the rocks and fossils you are finding are Ordovician. Much of middle TN has ridges capped by the cherty Mississippian Fort Payne formation, with Ordovician (and occasionally Silurian or Devonian in the Western areas) rocks exposed in the valleys. The lower part of the Fort Payne contains lenses of crinoidal limestone, so slabs can often be found far below the original outcrop, mixed in with the older rocks.

I am in Warren County. A few torrential downpours have caused small sections of our yard to erode. Some of the rocks I’ve posted have been found near these areas after those rains. 

47AD2917-9FF6-4B09-A31A-E6A9B9CC3883.jpeg

9379B5A4-1C7E-4119-A468-C8395E91C1A7.jpeg

16 minutes ago, BLT said:

I am in Warren County

Well that messes everything up, lol. Warren County does not have any Ordovician exposures, just Mississippian and Pennsylvanian. :doh!:

58 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

Well that messes everything up, lol. Warren County does not have any Ordovician exposures, just Mississippian and Pennsylvanian. :doh!:

So....you’re thinking they have all been bryozoa instead of trilobites, right? :headscratch: Are there most likely not any Mississippian trilobites in my area? I’m a bit confused. Lol 

No, some were definitely trilobites. There were cross sections of trilobites and one tiny enrolled trilobite, along with the pieces that look like Cryptolithus. There are rare Mississippian trilobites known from the Fort Payne, and extremely rare trilobites from the Bangor limestone and Pennington Formation. I have never heard of any from the other Mississippian limestones there (Warsaw, St. Louis, and Monteagle), but it is certainly possible. I need to go back and look at those previous fossils that look like Cryptolithus again. If they really are, then some of the rocks have been transported from elsewhere. Now if you could pull a rock out of the ground that is clearly derived from the local bedrock, and the same fossils are present, then the Cryptolithus looking fragments have to be something else, probably bryozoa.

8 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

No, some were definitely trilobites. There were cross sections of trilobites and one tiny enrolled trilobite, along with the pieces that look like Cryptolithus. There are rare Mississippian trilobites known from the Fort Payne, and extremely rare trilobites from the Bangor limestone and Pennington Formation. I have never heard of any from the other Mississippian limestones there (Warsaw, St. Louis, and Monteagle), but it is certainly possible. I need to go back and look at those previous fossils that look like Cryptolithus again. If they really are, then some of the rocks have been transported from elsewhere. Now if you could pull a rock out of the ground that is clearly derived from the local bedrock, and the same fossils are present, then the Cryptolithus looking fragments have to be something else, probably bryozoa.

Thank you again! :)

Archived