Carboniferous echinoid from a Jurassic limestone. Lovenechinus, UK

TqB

Lovenechinus lacazei (Julien)  (most likely this species but I'm not sure if there's really enough diagnostic detail).

Lower Carboniferous, probably Tournaisian.

Very rare anyway but of especial interest as it is from the Jurassic Doulting Stone (Bajocian, Inferior Oolite) of Somerset, UK. This is a limestone full of Carboniferous detritus, formed when the Jurassic sea was washing up against the Mendip Hills Carboniferous high ground.

(Just acquired via a dealer from an old collection that included Carboniferous coral and crinoid fragments from the same location. No other echinoids though!)

2.3cm across

IMG_3126.thumb.jpg.2dc97db7b8d1564a533339a2a87b9569.jpg

IMG_3129.thumb.jpg.2ff853fc8168cb64acf5f295ca988d92.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Tarquin

That's quite cool! Carboniferous fossils in Jurassic limestone :) I also like the explanation for how that happened.

The fossil itself is also pretty nice :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

36 minutes ago, TqB said:

Lovenechinus lacazei (Julien)  (most likely this species but I'm not sure if there's really enough diagnostic detail).

Lower Carboniferous, probably Tournaisian.

Very rare anyway but of especial interest as it is from the Jurassic Doulting Stone (Bajocian, Inferior Oolite) of Somerset, UK. This is a limestone full of Carboniferous detritus, formed when the Jurassic sea was washing up against the Mendip Hills Carboniferous high ground.

Very interesting... a good example for a classic expression “ The present is the key to the past” . Thanks for show it.

Ricardo

Nice! Is the material on the outside edges(left and right sides) part of this echinoid or algal growth?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I went collecting around Doulting a couple of times, but never found anything like that! 

Wow! :)

Great acquisition. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's quite cool! Carboniferous fossils in Jurassic limestone :) I also like the explanation for how that happened.

The fossil itself is also pretty nice :)

-Christian

Thanks! It surprised me when I researched it. :)

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

Very interesting... a good example for a classic expression “ The present is the key to the past” . Thanks for show it.

Ricardo

Absolutely, thank you!

15 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Nice! Is the material on the outside edges(left and right sides) part of this echinoid or algal growth?

Thanks! It's just the ambulacral rows of the echinoid, rather weathered. You can make out the pore pairs.

15 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I went collecting around Doulting a couple of times, but never found anything like that! 

Wow! :)

Great acquisition. 

Thanks, Adam! Did you find corals/crinoids or anything? I've never been though we've often stayed nearby, around Glastonbury. Next time... :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

2 hours ago, TqB said:

Thanks! It surprised me when I researched it. :)

Absolutely, thank you!

Thanks! It's just the ambulacral rows of the echinoid, rather weathered. You can make out the pore pairs.

Thanks, Adam! Did you find corals/crinoids or anything? I've never been though we've often stayed nearby, around Glastonbury. Next time... :) 

Mainly bivalves and ammonites from the Jurassic if I recall correctly. 

I'll have to check my records. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png