Unknown. Peace River Formation, Bone Valley Member

alej9582

Hi guys,

Found this interesting mineralized fragment while on the Peace River un Sunday. Have no clue any input would be wellcomed!

F8D2F702-D4B3-4F4F-9B63-853CAC8E46E6.jpeg

9D90EEF2-6F7F-4852-89E7-518884B76AB4.jpeg

5B17B36A-1FD4-461B-A04C-4A2C3B59416B.jpeg

@Tidgy's Dad thought the same thing until I flipped it (second photo) and got it under microscope. If it ends up being quartzite will end up as a paper weight! lol

With that shape and texture it looks like a very worn bone fragment to me. Most of the peace river dugong/whale/bone/teeth stuff is dark and black but there are pockets of the lighter/beige colored fossils out there like you pick up in the phosphate pits in the area. 

Regards, Chris 

7 hours ago, alej9582 said:

Found this interesting mineralized fragment while on the Peace River un Sunday. Have no clue any input would be wellcomed!

You were ON the Peace River Sunday?  I am crazy but not that crazy. :headscratch:That red line at 16 feet is flood stage.

I agree with Chris,  you have a chunk of very worn bone...

ZolfogaugeAug29th2018.JPG.d7206b23aea11655b31b85289e7e89ac.JPG

Found this is the Peace last January,  Never was able to Identify.  Compare the texture to your fossil..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

To me it looks like a stone with traces of sponges. But it also could be a worn chunk of bone.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

@Shellseeker current was nasty but funy enough there where locals in the water and their kids swinging from ropes into the water. I was next to a boat ramp and it was quite busy. I left because there where rain storms and funnels reaching down. Se picture below taken by my father.

Thanks

Alex

12057B51-39C1-4D74-B74A-E19EB284A80B.jpeg

1 hour ago, alej9582 said:

@Shellseeker current was nasty but funy enough there where locals in the water and their kids swinging from ropes into the water. I was next to a boat ramp and it was quite busy. I left because there where rain storms and funnels reaching down. Se picture below taken by my father.

Thanks

Alex

Thanks for the photo, Alex..

I love seeing pictures of the Peace River. In some of my previous incarnations, I have gone hunting in similar conditions.... but I am older and wiser now.. I think.

This also is in Hardee county.

Picture2 001cm.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

23 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for the photo, Alex..

I love seeing pictures of the Peace River. In some of my previous incarnations, I have gone hunting in similar conditions.... but I am older and wiser now.. I think.

This also is in Hardee county.

Picture2 001cm.jpg

Awesome photo @Shellseeker. This river produces a sense of peace (even though the name is modern adaptation of it’s native american name). Suits him well.

Alex

My vote also goes for a very worn piece of bone. 

From my memory of my hunt with @Sacha and @Cam28, bone pieces are very common finds in the Peace, so I suppose that is the most likely option. Plus, that third picture definitely shows the typical bone structure. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

My vote also goes for a very worn piece of bone. 

From my memory of my hunt with @Sacha and @Cam28, bone pieces are very common finds in the Peace, so I suppose that is the most likely option. Plus, that third picture definitely shows the typical bone structure. 

Thanks for the insight @Max-fossils!!

Guys at UF think its a piece of Dugong bone due to the locality. Will never know for sure! For now he remains Bone Sp. with possible chances of Rock sp. lol

Archived