Coryander

I know this is not Fossil ID, but can someone help me identifying these bivalves?

I found it in Algarve.

Thank you.

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

Hello,

Number 2 isn’t a Bivalvia, it is a Gastropoda: Calyptraea chinensis (Linnaeus, 1758).

Regards,

Ricardo

Nice shells. I would need to see a picture of the hinges in order to ID them. 

Otherwise, from the looks of it, Ricardo seems to be right by saying #2 are Calyptraea gastropods. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 8/30/2018 at 11:51 AM, ricardo said:

Hello,

Number 2 isn’t a Bivalvia, it is a Gastropoda: Calyptraea chinensis (Linnaeus, 1758).

Regards,

Ricardo

Thank you.

I think, specimen one (1) can't be determined considering it is heavily bored by sponges. It could be labeled as clionaid sponge borings in bivalve shell.  :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

18 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I think, specimen one (1) can't be determined considering it is heavily bored by sponges. It could be labeled as clionaid sponge borings in bivalve shell.  :)

I'm not even sure it's a bivalve, looking at the state of that "thing" :P 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

20 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I think, specimen one (1) can't be determined considering it is heavily bored by sponges.

Could 1 be a tube worm colony (heavily eroded)?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

Could 1 be a tube worm colony (heavily eroded)?

Don't think so. These look pretty different. 

In tube worm colonies, you can really see all those tiny intertwined "tunnels", which don't show up here.

2012-01-19-serpula2.jpg.01cffd2be0b01411e33e6b71095dc50e.jpg

(example from Google)

@abyssunder is most likely right. My comment was sarcastic, as I was mocking the very poor preservation. 

But this is pretty clearly a bivalve (piece) that has been affected by sponge borings, such as the one below (which is in much better condition). 

BoredEncrustedShell.JPG.0b32737f96f37ad9e2f8c260c5ae1396.JPG

(example from Google)

With tube worm colonies, all the worms in it are pretty much the same size (in diameter at least), meaning that if you would do a cut section through a colony all holes will have pretty much the same dimensions. On the other hand, sponge borings are very numerous, and have lots of different-sized "shallow" holes. 

Now if you look at the specimen in the OP, you'll notice that there are many holes, of different sizes, and that it's a flat surface. (Would it have been a worn-out tube worm colony then there would be fewer holes, all of more or less the same size, and you would've still been able to notice the tubes themselves)

Once you start dealing more with invertebrate/seashell fossils, these kinds of details become more obvious. 

I hope this clears it up for you. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème