rapp beach combing

Rowboater

Still too hot and buggy for hunting the creek in the woods, so headed over to a local beach where I have been finding only 5 or so weathered teeth per trip, but usually find pieces of fossil whale bone, and lots of non-fossil stuff (lots of what was once metal, once glass, brick and pottery shards, modern shells, and some old but not conversant in shells, and flotsam.  30 years ago teeth were more common, guess they are more picked over nowadays?  At least hunting is pleasant, even when muggy and hot there is usually a nice breeze off the River.  The water was very cloudy despite finally dry days, will try the beach again in the water once it clears.  

Usually don't bother to post the beach stuff, but today found a nice cowshark tooth in good shape with an intact root.  Don't remember ever finding one there before?083118-beach.thumb.jpg.041457d0d7be2ef05ca9ed87f54618a5.jpg083118-teeth-beach.thumb.jpg.525ea9f6fb84b165699aeaf6ac67bc68.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Nice full cow!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very nice.:)

I'm also rather fond of that complete cow shark tooth. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have to echo everyone else -- that's a really beautiful cow! Overall, looks like a successful trip!

And I'm amazed at your endurance! I think I lost 10 pounds of sweat just standing around waiting with my kid at the bus stop this morning! I imagine there's a lot more sweat lost when combing the beaches for teeth!

Thanks everyone!  Felt very lucky to find that complete tooth (I feel lucky even when I find pieces of cowshark teeth).  

The water is still very cloudy, if clear I would have been wading and looking.  The beach always seems to have breeze, unlike when hunting in the creek in the woods.