Unknown. Peace River Formation, Bone Valley Member

alej9582

Might be another bone piece but the pictures are pretty blurry..almost can see some banding that shows up ocassionally in dugong pieces...

Here's a bone fragment that I have for comparison...

5b88861e31be6_Dugongbonecrosssection3.thumb.jpg.6b602ea691d64d8a8062cf16aafb19b5.jpg

Regards, Chris  

Dugong bone is crazy dense stuff and so are chert nodules.....hmm maybe still thinking bone but hard to tell...So it appears to have been recently broken. I wonder if I have any that have that fresh break /fracture surface to them along the length of the bone to compare to...let me go look in the garage...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Plantguy said:

Dugong bone is crazy dense stuff and so are chert nodules.....hmm maybe still thinking bone but hard to tell...So it appears to have been recently broken. I wonder if I have any that have that fresh break /fracture surface to them along the length of the bone to compare to...let me go look in the garage...

Regards, Chris 

Awesome! Really appreciate it. The shape is that of a long (very long) fingernail. It curves down.

Well, I dont have anything more tonight...Of the easily gotten to pieces in the garage most of them show some boney character/nature which actually surprised me but I know I've seen some in other boxes of bone that dont have the banding/or porous nature or obvious boney textures...If I find something more definitive/illustrative I'll let you know. 

Regards, Chris 

Dugong bone sure can become whacky. 

But personally I would lean to this being a concretion rather than bone material. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Well, I wave the white flag and will conclude I dont know for sure based on the pics what yours is. I suspect a chert nodule but again that dugong stuff gets mineralized in some weird ways...

For whats its worth I couldnt find the dugong specimens I had been looking for but I did find some others that allowed me to try and recreate the fracture pattern I seem to remember

Heres a shot of the bone pieces for comparison. 

I found that some of the bone sections (right side of the photo below) when fractured showed lightly splintered surfaces unlike your unknown. Coloration was a creme/offwhite throughout. 

5b8a7126f1369_Dugongbonefragments.thumb.jpg.20cd8455b646bb6a0f7a6c15f8ff01d2.jpg

There was also this piece (seen on the very left of the 1st photo above) I tried to fracture length wise but it turned out to be very brittle and it broke into many pieces and shows a very prominent shiney conchoidal fracture surfaces similar to the unknown. Interestingly it had a dark black interior with a caramel colored rind and core..

5b8a71d002eb8_Dugongbonefragmentsconchoidalfracture.thumb.jpg.3d994cf4ddcbfcdead59cc83c61e97b8.jpg
Looks like I've run out of room...

Edited by Plantguy
Changing photo directions

Here's another piece showing more of the conchoidal chipping I seem to remember and was trying to attribute yours to ..The interesting white spot is an infilled boring clam trace

5b8a743fc4224_Dugongboneconchoidalchip.thumb.jpg.0f0dbc8413908baf710afa25babd5342.jpg

So I've taken this thread off into the ditch so I'll conclude now before I get even more off topic....Have a great day--continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

4 hours ago, Plantguy said:

There was also this piece (seen on the very left of the 1st photo above) I tried to fracture length wise but it turned out to be very brittle and it broke into many pieces and shows a very prominent shiney conchoidal fracture surfaces similar to the unknown. Interestingly it had a dark black interior with a caramel colored rind and core..

5b8a71d002eb8_Dugongbonefragmentsconchoidalfracture.thumb.jpg.3d994cf4ddcbfcdead59cc83c61e97b8.jpg
Looks like I've run out of room...

This looks a lot like chert/flint to me...

What makes you say this is bone?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

47 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Good question...Yes it does! I'll get you some more pics of the end and some of the cancellous inner areas. More later.

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
Added comment...both probably silica now..

Looks like you guys been having some fun! I have chert fragments and what seems to be very similar to the piece I posted it that White chert/flint usually go from lighter to darker color as you move into the center. It was just the shape that got me thinking It could be something else. 

Alex

On 9/1/2018 at 2:02 PM, alej9582 said:

Looks like you guys been having some fun! I have chert fragments and what seems to be very similar to the piece I posted it that White chert/flint usually go from lighter to darker color as you move into the center. It was just the shape that got me thinking It could be something else. 

Alex

Yep, I wish I could find those other specimens I have..they are somewhere. 

On 9/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, Max-fossils said:

Here are a few more pics to illustrate the hard to see boney character of my comparative specimen....two small different spongy cancellous areas in the same bone in the upper right of the bone and again in the middle lower left. IMG_20180902_152206.thumb.jpg.580d776db78bc5b72c9cd033e88ce84b.jpg

and a section of the same bone which is brown in color showing more of the layered bone cells around the outside of the specimen in the 2nd photo...

IMG_20180902_152402.jpg.53332b1e41c51f53b6a9221c08491ef1.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Chris's suggestions and images are great. I have no idea of what it could be. It will be good to know the hardness of the specimen in question, to exclude some of the possibilities.
I'm wondering, but just wondering, if the scratch marks visible on the external surface can't indicate bioerosion, and / or the specimen can't be coprolite? :headscratch:

F50-04.jpg.df3b3e117ef6f6af718e844fd5f215bf.thumb.jpg.1ba68878d985b7d97f485c82ad43aeab.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Chris's suggestions and images are great. I have no idea of what it could be. It will be good to know the hardness of the specimen in question, to exclude some of the possibilities.
I'm wondering, but just wondering, if the scratch marks visible on the external surface can't indicate bioerosion, and / or the specimen can't be coprolite? :headscratch:

F50-04.jpg.df3b3e117ef6f6af718e844fd5f215bf.thumb.jpg.1ba68878d985b7d97f485c82ad43aeab.jpg

Prety hard. Interesting idea but it would have to be a chiped off segment of a big pile of... Don see any indicators of plant matter in it though. 

I was inspired by this topic:

Coprolite-Fish-Skull-Jaw-Element-Inclusion-North-Sulphur-River-TX-Views.jpg.500b86abe320877d62f7004ff7aa880e.thumb.jpg.09b791f1ae9b5a7aeffbf83ff8ad29d9.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I had looked at that thread recently when Jack was looking at one of his recent acquisitions. I agree your find has some bioerosion damage as Lori pointed out and I believe the rounding is abrasion due to being tumbled/transported but if I had to wage a buck on it I'll potentially lose it by sticking with a piece of chert. I should probably wait pending establishing the relative hardness but I throw it out there anyway....a precursor for mud splashing back on my face. LOL. Did you determine the relative hardness as Lori suggested? Chert is pretty hard around 7 on the MOHS scale.  

Regards, Chris 

45 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

I had looked at that thread recently when Jack was looking at one of his recent acquisitions. I agree your find has some bioerosion damage as Lori pointed out and I believe the rounding is abrasion due to being tumbled/transported but if I had to wage a buck on it I'll potentially lose it by sticking with a piece of chert. I should probably wait pending establishing the relative hardness but I throw it out there anyway....a precursor for mud splashing back on my face. LOL. Did you determine the relative hardness as Lori suggested? Chert is pretty hard around 7 on the MOHS scale.  

Regards, Chris 

Will do as Lori suggested without compromising the piece and grt back to you.

Alex