New Ichthyosaur from the Cretaceous of Australia

The Amateur Paleontologist

Just got this new article from the "Everything Dinosaur" blog about a new ichthyosaur specimen from the Cretaceous deposits in the area around Richmond (Queensland, Australia). The specimen was found and collected by the staff of the Kronosaurus Korner museum.

5b890ff4cb7ac_ScreenShot2018-08-31at11_51_28.png.d721d2da0bb034960731d0eb2f5f825e.png

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2018/08/29/annual-australian-fossil-dig-finds-a-fish-lizard-fossil.html

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

@DanKurek It's a new specimen. But who knows? Might also turn out to be a new species (or even genus…). As usual, preparation and research will tell ;) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I liked the article on the ancient 'seagull' too! :)

Thanks for sharing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Foozil said:

Would be nice to have a new species here, we only have the same old Platypterygius australis/longmanii  :(

I'm sure there are definitely other platypterygiines, just waiting to be discovered :) 

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

• 2 weeks later...

The initial bits of Ichthyosaur material were found 28-4-17 and the material was recovered and left as a backup specimen for the next big dig at Richmond.

The rib was the right was the initially find and when dug around more and more bone was found making the specimen worth leaving as a full dig.

The exposed material was paraloided, recovered and fenced off.

The bird material in the other article is only part of the material that has since been found after a lot of sieving but all as isolated bones though mostly in small clusters so still hopeful of a more complete specimens.

Mike

aa ichthyosaur 28-4-17.jpg

Archived