Moroccan bone - Dinosaur or crocodile?

Aurelius

I recently purchased this Kem Kem bone, described as dinosaur. The price was reasonable, so I took a chance on it. 

Can anybody more knowledgeable let me know what they think? I've been looking at examples of crocodile and theropod limb bones, and it's left me scratching my head a bit, I'm still none the wiser.

It does need some prep, which I would have done before posting it, but it's been basically soaked in glue, so it'll need some careful applications of acetone to enable me to clean it up properly. There are three clearly repaired breaks, one of which - the one on the flatter (left) end - appears not to be original. I don't think those two bits of bone ever went together, or if they did, there was more bone originally between them. The narrowing of the bone seems too sudden to me.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

20180831_140753.jpg

20180831_140805.jpg

20180831_140813.jpg

20180831_140820.jpg

Attached image of the femur of a Spinosauruid, there is some resemblance.  The bottom section is composited from some other critter,

post-10955-0-35055600-1410473402.jpg.3f6398c3f4f662d36d1df6eb2be2fddd.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Attached image of the femur of a Spinosauruid, there is some resemblance.  The bottom section is composited from some other critter,

post-10955-0-35055600-1410473402.jpg.3f6398c3f4f662d36d1df6eb2be2fddd.jpg

Thank you, there is a definite resemblance. I also forgot to mention that it's hollow, which does seem to be highly suggestive! Shame it was composited, but at least it was cheap.

• I found this Informative 1

55 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Spinosaurids bones are not holliw would like to see that end

Femurs

Screenshot_20161229-064016.thumb.jpg.66e98549b841cec1edc96ef87cc33b7d.jpg

Oh, that is confusing then. Because it does closely resemble some other Spinosaurid femurs I've seen online since your suggestion. Another theropod then? When I take it apart with acetone, I'll post a picture of the broken end. I can tell it's hollow because it rattles.

The head on the right side is 100% from a theropod femur.

The seam on the right side does seem like it's "just" a repair and not a composite. The seam in the middle also looks like it might be only a repair. But the seam on the left looks very dubious at best. I think that one is composited. So yeah, I agree with your assessment.

I'd suggest trying to clean around the glue a little to see what parts belong together. I think this piece might turn out slightly better than the average composite since one end seems to be genuine.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite