Vertebrate Fossil in WI?

newbiecollectorwi

Please help me identify this fossil found yesterday on a hike Door County.  It was found among very common fossils like corals.

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

I personally believe this to be either more fossilized coral (simply due to the organic-looking features and because you say it is common where you are) or a very weird concretion. 

I do agree that these things sticking out (especially in the 2nd pic) look a lot like teeth, but the fact that there are so many big crystals inside makes me highly doubt that idea. 

Better pictures (more focused on the object itself) would help to confirm a positive ID for this piece. 

Enjoy your stay here!

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Looks like a straight shelled Cephalopod bit with calcite crystals. 

• I found this Informative 3

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Al Dente is correct.  It is the siphuncle of a straight-shelled nautiloid, Huronia.  This type of nautiloid is almost always found as just the siphuncle, as the rest of the shell was relatively fragile.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

It's easy to find fossils in Door County.  I am very inexperienced in finding fossils and we managed to find these items roadside and near parking lots at parks.  There are more fossils just laying by some parking lots than what you'd know what to do with.  

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG