8/31/18: Large shark tooth- N. Texas

John S.

Found a big tooth in nice condition today in north central Texas. Late Cretaceous, 86-90 mya

7B751B89-F348-4ED8-A567-7AA88F9CFED9.jpeg

EB9593C9-95E6-4209-97C8-9AF88AFA3EF3.jpeg

C565A06D-6CEC-4FD6-9E21-CB2BEA414CB5.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

By the ages you mentioned, is this from the upper part of the Arcadia Park Formation to the Atco Formation where shark teeth are common? Also, where were they found? 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

By the ages you mentioned, is this from the upper part of the Arcadia Park Formation to the Atco Formation where shark teeth are common? Also, where were they found? 

That sounds right. This is in the Dallas area. Common depending on the creek. The monsters are pretty rare, esp the unbroken ones. 

North Central Texas

13 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Spectacular tooth! It must have been a monster shark.

Yes likely 20-25 feet

North Central Texas

On 9/1/2018 at 11:30 AM, John S. said:

Yes likely 20-25 feet

How did you make such a size estimate based off of this tooth. It looks like a Cretoxyrhina tooth, which was thought to not exceed greater than 20 ft.

1 hour ago, TNCollector said:

How did you make such a size estimate based off of this tooth. It looks like a Cretoxyrhina tooth, which was thought to not exceed greater than 20 ft.

I was going off of Wikipedia. Says around 23 ft

North Central Texas

13 hours ago, TNCollector said:

I’m not very familiar with Cretoxyrhina teeth. Do they have lingual folds like this tooth has?

Great tooth. Could it be Leptostyrax?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

On 9/4/2018 at 10:29 AM, The Jersey Devil said:

Great tooth. Could it be Leptostyrax?

It has no cusps or any sign of cusps that it used to have. Leptostyrax teeth ususally have very pronounced cusps.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:46 AM, Al Dente said:

I’m not very familiar with Cretoxyrhina teeth. Do they have lingual folds like this tooth has?

Yes they do indeed. C. mantelli teeth are not uncommon in Kansas and have been found all throughout Western Interior Seaway deposits.

@John S. Also I forgot to congratulate you on this find. That is a huge tooth for a Cretacous shark. My biggest is a Scapanorhynchus texanus tooth measuring about  2 and 3/8 inches.

4 hours ago, TNCollector said:

It has no cusps or any sign of cusps that it used to have. Leptostyrax teeth ususally have very pronounced cusps.

Yes they do indeed. C. mantelli teeth are not uncommon in Kansas and have been found all throughout Western Interior Seaway deposits.

@John S. Also I forgot to congratulate you on this find. That is a huge tooth for a Cretacous shark. My biggest is a Scapanorhynchus texanus tooth measuring about  2 and 3/8 inches.

I know they have cusplets. This tooth might have not had them, but since there is no occlusal view shown, I don't know if you can really be sure if cusplets used to be there or not.

I never knew Scapanorhynchus got that large, I always thought the max (at least in NJ) was a little over 2". Do you happen to have any pics of it?

Joseph

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I’ve done a little more research on Cretoxyrhina and I’m convinced this is not one. I can’t find any evidence that they have lingual folds in the publications I’ve read. Cappetta says they do not reach the Campanian. Isn’t the Ozan Campanian? This might be Scapanorhynchus with strange root.

Archived