September 2018 Finds of the Month Entries

digit

Remember...PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below, ... make sure you 

include all the required informationIN THE REQUESTED FORMAT

and submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on SEPTEMBER 30, 2018

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the thread is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry(Only two entries per contest category.)
3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest,

or Significant Preparation * of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month);
or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).
5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
6. You must include the common or scientific name.
7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.
8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.
9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos  of find:(if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Limit - 4 photos, please.

Only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Once the Contest Submission period has ended, after all the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed,
we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for SEPTEMBER 2018 !  

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Good luck! :D

Significant preparation" (ie: substantial, a revealing and/or repairing of important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil.) The qualification of significant preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow month, I guess I’m not the only one who hasn’t gone fossil hunting in September!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Slow month, I guess I’m not the only one who hasn’t gone fossil hunting in September!

It’s been the same for me. All this terrible east coast weather on the weekends. I’ll be making a trip out your way here in the next few weeks.

Hopefully someone finds something special the next few weeks.

Well if no one else is going to post anything...

Dolphin/small cetacean vert. 3cm wide x 3.75cm long.

Found/ dug up Sept. 16, 2016

"The Hills"

Round Mountain Silt Member, Temblor Formation.

Mid. Miocene (15 mya)

Bakersfield, California

20180918_205440.jpg

20180918_205424.jpg

20180918_205404.jpg

Its not often I take pictures of something prior to soaking and cleaning.

Another to ponder.

Set of cetacean inner ear bones. These two were found within the same billiard ball size silt clump, so assuming they are associated.

Found September 16, 2018

"The Hills"

Round Mountain Silt Member of Temblor Formation.

Mid. Miocene ( 15 mya)

Bakersfield, California 

20180918_213129.jpg

20180918_213151.jpg

20180918_213214.jpg

Very slow month indeed. Been meaning to put this find up.

Date of Discovery: 9/9/18

Scientific Name: Phyllograptus typus & Tshallograptus tridens

Age & Formation: Early Ordovician (Bendigonian Stage) Bendigonian Formation

DSCN9340.JPG

DSCN9327.JPG

See, the race begins with one person brave enough to take the first step forward.  Good entries, keep them coming!

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

See, the race begins with one person brave enough to take the first step forward.  Good entries, keep them coming!

Everyone needed some motivation from our fantastic leader and mentor Doren :P 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Found Friday 14th September

Zamites gigas or Otozamites graphicus

Middle Jurassic, Aalenian, Saltwick Formation

Yorkshire, England.

plant.jpg.b24cbe61216d6635fcd725be615ec233.jpg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Okie dokie - here's my entry for September's Invertebrate Fossil of the Month...

Date of discovery: Saturday, September 1st, 2018

Scientific or common nameFavosites placenta (tabulate coral)

Geologic Age/Formation: Mid-Devonian, Hungry Hollow Formation

Location of discovery: South Pit of Hungry Hollow which is near Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Why it's interesting/important: This beautiful 12-cm-long tabulate coral has a bunch of other interesting things attached to its surface, including various echinoderm holdfasts and a cute little brachiopod (I think it's Philhedra crenistriata).

Photos:

Whole specimen - Favosites placenta:

DSCN3571.thumb.JPG.b44e5bf4dfff1be876bb53f1f7aacbbe.JPG

Echinoderm holdfast #1:

DSCN3569.thumb.JPG.72e1e722d8dd35d22488ea3a6406f5b0.JPG

Echinoderm holdfast #2:

DSCN3565.thumb.JPG.c9ebcf66a37a16e54a6056f199d499cd.JPG

Brachiopod - Philhedra crenistriata

DSCN3570.thumb.JPG.04367c8565b098b5b8f6288d7f776ded.JPG

Thanks for looking, everyone!

Monica

36 minutes ago, Monica said:

Thanks, Walt! :)

I think I love that whole piece so, so much, but the Philhedra!  :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

So Monica, was this found in a clay type soil or a shale or ?

Not familiar with your digging grounds.

20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

So Monica, was this found in a clay type soil or a shale or ?

Not familiar with your digging grounds.

I found it upside down in the clay of Hungry Hollow.  I was pretty sure that it was going to be a tabulate coral of some sort based on what its bottom looked like, so I just plucked it out of the clay and wiped it a bit with my hand.  I could see that some interesting things were attached to it, but I wasn't sure exactly what until I got home that evening and washed it - that's when I saw that they were echinoderm-y.  I only just noticed the little brachiopod this evening while I was photographing one of the echinoderm holdfasts, and I thought "Wow - I think that's another Philhedra crenistriata!  Adam's going to love it!" (I found another of this type of brachiopod on a little horn coral from Hungry Hollow when I was there in the springtime, and Adam was the one who identified it for me - thanks again, @Tidgy's Dad!)

On 9/19/2018 at 7:16 PM, Monica said:

in the clay of Hungry Hollow

in-situ in an outcrop of the bedrock or in the soil/weathered zone? Sorry for the dump question...;)

Franz Bernhard

On 9/19/2018 at 11:54 PM, FranzBernhard said:

in-situ in an outcrop of the bedrock or in the soil/wheatered zone? Sorry for the dump question...;)

Franz Bernhard

Hi Franz!

I don't do any hammering when I visit Hungry Hollow, although some people do.  There are big chunks of rock that can be broken up near the top of the pit, but I usually just stick to surface collecting a little lower down, so I guess that would mean that I found it in the soil/weathered zone.  Here are a couple of pictures of what the ground looks like in the area of the pit that I found the Favosites placenta coral shown above (sorry for the not-so-good quality - these pictures are cropped from pictures I took of friends fossil-hunting in that particular area of the pit):

5ba36306c97f0_closeup.thumb.JPG.34f71312b5aad1f2fc7ace90cdd80ede.JPG        5ba3632c5b8d0_closerup.thumb.JPG.039e86c08c280542663a9ec15660ce0b.JPG

I hope that helps!

Monica

1 hour ago, Monica said:

I hope that helps!

Yes, Monica, thank you very much for the info! So, your specimen has been already wheatered out of the host rock and was a little bit transported downslope. Did you the prep yourself or was it already preped by mother nature?

Franz Bernhard

Very Large 6 inch+

Hildoceras

Found 20/09/2018

Lower Toarcian (Jurassic)

Yorkshire, England

Photo 20-09-2018, 10 42 30 am-min.jpg

Photo 20-09-2018, 8 01 36 am-min.jpg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yes, Monica, thank you very much for the info! So, your specimen has been already wheatered out of the host rock and was a little bit transported downslope. Did you the prep yourself or was it already preped by mother nature?

Franz Bernhard

Hello again, Franz!

Mother Nature did all the work for me (which is good, because other than scraping a bit with dental tools I'm not set up to do any fossil prepping) :)  I was pretty excited when I found it because usually I just find chunks of corals rather than whole specimens, and often they're not so well preserved as this one - it must have been my lucky day that day!  And the epibionts attached were the icing on the cake!

I hope that all is well in Austria!  Continued good luck to you in your rudist hunts!

Monica

2 minutes ago, Monica said:

Mother Nature did all the work for me

Thanks Monica! Yes, nearly nothing compares to mother nature prep. Congratulations again to this superb find, I think, I can feel your exitement!

Thanks, everything okay here, still summer with 27°C.

Franz Bernhard

29 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

still summer with 27°C.

Lucky you! Here in the Netherlands, we're already under the 20s... :( 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

53 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Here in the Netherlands, we're already under the 20s

We will have your temperatures in 2 days!

Franz Bernhard

Archived