Lisbon Portugal

asniper8541

Are there any fossil guides or services in or around Lisbon Portugal?  I will be there for a week in Mid-September.  I would love to go hunting, if its allowed.

Try a self serve site at Algarve. This page shows locality map, fossil photos and literature. 

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=129

Maybe some of our Portuguese members can help.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

You might consider Magoito Beach (Praia do Magoito)

A relatively quick train trip from Lisbon to the station just before Sintra (Portela de Sintra) runs about 2-3 euros a person, and will take about 20 or so minutes. From that station, there is a bus bay where you can catch the 444 Magoito Beach until you hit the end of the line in 25 minutes. 

Apart from being a great, very long beach, you'll notice a lot of rock fall along the massive Cretaceous cliffs. You can surface collect marine limestone pieces filled with oyster and gastropod shells, and sometimes the occasional ammonite. 

The trains run very frequently, but the bus schedule takes a bit of planning. Here is the schedule for the bus: http://scotturb.com/pt/carreiras/horarios/verao/rota/28

The Viva Viagem reloadable cards (well worth it) are good for the trains and subway, and most buses, but not the Magoito Beach bus. You can get those at any subway station in Lisbon from an automated machine where you can also reload them. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Vieira and @ricardo will probably also be able to give you more fun locations to hunt at :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi,

I’m interested in fossils but I´m not really an active fossil collector like most of you. My main interest is zeolites and phosphates. I’m interested in some fossil groups, like Bivalvia, for study reasons. I only know well some places near where I live or with interest to some research and I never collect on Lisbon region. A visit to the “old” Geological Museum will be a good option.

@asniper8541 I went to that geological museum for the first time in April, and I promise you, it’s well worth the visit.  Never seen a museum like that in my life. Extremely impressive.  You’re going to spend a lot of time there because there are that many specimens to see. Huge femurs of sauropods, large stegosaur fossil, etc.  

The Natural history Museum of Lisbon was disappointing.  Little to no dinosaur material.  However, I know they are renovating a section to dedicate entirely to dinosaur stuff.  So depending on when you are going, you might get there when they reopen the exhibit.  I’m sure by then it will be great . 

Lastly,  I do suggest to make your way to the Museum of Lourihnã.  It’s small but worth it. A short cab ride away is the dino park,  inside you will see very impressive specimens of Torvosaurus, Allosaurus,  Ceratosaurus, Stegosaurus,  Zby, etc...you definitely have some options!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, Max-fossils said:

@Vieira and @ricardo will probably also be able to give you more fun locations to hunt at :) 

I was on vacation and only today I returned and returned to the forum. Sorry.

I can not give more advice than I gave in another topics.