Help ID Fossils From Manitoulin Island

Jacob_Klempt

Hello, I just got back from my first fossil hunting trip and am hoping to get a little help to ID some of my finds. These were found on Manitoulin Island off HWY 6 & New England Rd, I`m sure a few people on here have already been there. I didn`t do any digging or picking but I managed to find a few specimens laying around worth bringing home.

Fossil #1 Approx 6cm by 6cm total, gonna take a wild guess that it`s some sort of shell

ddHDmGhl.jpg

Fossil #2 Approx 7cm by 11cm total, looks like corral to me, lots of little bits in the area like this but this was the nicest one I found

Tm2tMsml.jpg

oo3qPVsl.jpg

Fossil #3 Approx 5cm by 3cm total, no idea what this could be

1JpSgzwl.jpg

Fossil #4 Approx 12cm by 14cm total, again have no idea what these could be

MMZqpAkl.jpg

Fossil #5 Approx 7cm by 5cm total, possible the tip of a larger shell?

njHlYkUl.jpg

rdxTfzcl.jpg

Fossil? #6 Approx 12cm by 14cm total, not sure if this one is even a fossil or just mineral veins.

FYjqbG8l.jpg

I would be grateful for any help ID these finds, thanks in advance.

1# could be some type of brachiopod. no clue what the others could be tho. but lets see what the admins think ;).

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

As far as I know, Manitoulin Island is Ordovician.

#1 could either be a bivalve or a brachipod.

#2 may be a piece of sponge

#3 might be a portion of coral

#5 is a horn coral

MrFossilMister is a ninja :ninja:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

with number 6# looks like worm holes that fossilized (trace fossil).

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

Very interesting finds. Manitoulin Island is a bit of a mixed bag, geologically, as there are bands of Devonian, Silurian, and Ordovician that all seem to pinch in and across the island in a kind of arc (it's a little like taking much of southern Ontario's geology from Windsor to Toronto and compressing it to the scale of the island itself, but missing some visible formation outcrops). The fossil #2 is not a sponge, but a tabulate/colonial coral. It would be interesting to see more images of #4 if you get the chance. I am thinking #6 is a trace/burrow. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Manitoulin Island is an extention of the Niagra Escarpment and so, as Kane says, it is composed of Late Ordovician (mostly exposed on the northern side) and Silurian rocks (mostly the southern half).  I am not aware of any Devonian formations on the island.

Fossil #1 is likely a bivalve.  The style of ribs reminds me of something along the lines of Byssonychia which occurs in the Ordovician, but it's impossible to be sure without exposing more of the shell.  #2 is a tabulate coral, most likely Favosites.  Several species occur in the Silurian formations, identification to species requires measurement of corallite size and study if internal features such as spacing of tabular.  #3 reminds me of a chain coral (Halysites or Catenipora) or lass likely a Syringopora, better photos are needed to decide for sure.  #4 are pentamerid brachiopods. The prominent spondylium that seems to divide the shell in two is characteristic.  There are a few genera (mostly Pentamerus but also some relatives) and several species in the Ontarii Silurian. If IDed to species they can be used to divide the formations into narrower biozones. #5 is a solitary rugose coral (horn coral).  A more precise ID requires observation of internal structures, which would require cutting thin sections.  All the fossils except possibly #1 are typical Silurian finds.  #6 doesn't seem to be a body fossil to me.

Don

Fossil #1 looks like an Ambonychia species. However Im not sure if the Georgian Bay formation is exposed at Manitoulin Island.

I think you’re the first person to post personal finds from Manitoulin Island here on the forum:popcorn: which I find nice. I’ve seen pics online of corals found from the Niagara Escarpment  of the island and I’ve always dreamt of finding something similar here on the Niagara Escarpment of Hamilton, Ontario.

10 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Fossil #1 looks like an Ambonychia species. However Im not sure if the Georgian Bay formation is exposed at Manitoulin Island.

I think you’re the first person to post personal finds from Manitoulin Island here on the forum:popcorn: which I find nice. I’ve seen pics online of corals found from the Niagara Escarpment  of the island and I’ve always dreamt of finding something similar here on the Niagara Escarpment of Hamilton, Ontario.

As far as I know Manitoulin is just part of the Niagara Escarpment, but I don`t know too much about the local geography yet. I`m hoping to get maybe another 1 or 2 fossil hunting trips in this year on Manitoulin. I`ll make sure to post any interesting finds on the forum, so stay tuned.

Oldies but goodies! :trilosurprise:

Williams, M.Y. 1919
The Silurian geology and faunas of Ontario Peninsula, and Manitoulin and adjacent islands. 
Geological Survey of Canada Memoir,  111:1-195   PDF LINK

Caley, J.F. 1936
The Ordovician of Manitoulin Island, Ontario. 

In: Contributions to the study of the Ordovician of Ontario and Quebec. 

Geological Survey of Canada Memoir, 202:21-92   PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

On 9/3/2018 at 10:52 PM, piranha said:

Oldies but goodies! :trilosurprise:

Williams, M.Y. 1919
The Silurian geology and faunas of Ontario Peninsula, and Manitoulin and adjacent islands. 
Geological Survey of Canada Memoir,  111:1-195   PDF LINK

Caley, J.F. 1936
The Ordovician of Manitoulin Island, Ontario. 

In: Contributions to the study of the Ordovician of Ontario and Quebec. 

Geological Survey of Canada Memoir, 202:21-92   PDF LINK

Thanks! I`m sure it`ll make for a good read. Not too old in geologic time.

• 3 weeks later...

I studied geology at Laurentian University years ago and learned quite a bit about the fossils on Manitoulin from my professor Paul Copper who specialized in the fossils there. From the photos you posted (a little higher resolution would make it easier), here is my take on them based on my studies:

#1 - appears to be a fragment of a brachiopod shell in a rounded smooth piece of limestone.

#2 - appears to be a chunk of honeycomb coral, most likely Favosites

#3 - is a piece of chain coral, most likely Halysites

#4 - are brachiopod shell fragments, you can see some of the internal structure on these

#5 - is a rugose solitary cup coral

#6 - just a nice clean piece of limestone

Hope this helps,

Steve

Archived