Identification of Chenanisaurus Teeth from Morocco

Troodon

Chenanisaurus barbaricus was described from the phosphate beds of the Ouled Abdoun basin of Morocco.  Specifically the Holotype was found in Sidi Chennane couche ( bed ) III and all the teeth were Premaxillary however a isolated Maxillary tooth was found at Sidi Daoui.

Screenshot_20180819-123249.thumb.jpg.92bac31467edeb874c42c66acf82e238.jpg

Family: Abelisauridae

No formal formation designated, ( Late Maastrichtian ca. 112 Ma)

Locality: Ouled Abdoun Basin, Couche III at Sidi Chennane

Premaxillary  Teeth: 

Tooth 1) CBR: .69, CHR: 2.14

Tooth 2) CBR: .76, CHR: 2.13

Mesial Density : 8.5 per 5 mm at tip and midline

Mesial Density : 12 per 5 mm at base

Distal Density : 8 per 5 mm at tip and midline

Distal Density : 13 per 5 mm at base

Denticles are Chisel shaped 

Carinae on both edges extend to the base

Cross-section at base D shaped

Longrich, N.R.; Pereda-Suberbiola, X.; Jalil, N.-E.; Khaldoune, F.; Jourani, E. (2017). "An abelisaurid from the latest Cretaceous (late Maastrichtian) of Morocco, North Africa". Cretaceous Research. doi:10.1016/j.cretres.2017.03.021

Lateral  Teeth: 

CBR: ?, CHR: ?

Mesial Density : 2 mm at tip and midline

Mesial Density : higher at base

Distal Density : 2 mm at tip and midline

Distal Density : higher at base

Denticles are Chisel shaped 

Carinae on both edges extend to the base

Lateral Teeth compressed, blade like

Mesial edge is strongly recurved

Distal edge is straight 

Screenshot_20180902-074030.thumb.jpg.b31efd7af9b5bb1a61bf33451539d7bd.jpg

Buffetaut, E., Escuillié, F., Pohl, B., 2005, "First theropod dinosaur from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Morocco", Kaupia 14: 3-8

Example of a couple in my collection

AbelT3a.thumb.jpg.fcd508ae43ed7bc050b99b977d9fbfa1.jpgAbelT4b.thumb.jpg.b15a7cf67bc3dea3ab4a1082a670ecc9.jpg

The use of imagery from Longrich et al  might constitute a significant breach of copyright.

Citing the exact title of the paper does not diminish that possibility.

The imagery constitutes a significant element of both the commercial and scientific value of that paper.

Not wanting to be a spoilsport,but..

unless Elsevier/ Science Direct has designated an article "Free Access",re-use of content is expressly forbidden(UNLESS I'm hugely mistaken)

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

The use of imagery from Longrich et al  might constitute a significant breach of copyright.

Citing the exact title of the paper does not diminish that possibility.

The imagery constitutes a significant element of both the commercial and scientific value of that paper.

Not wanting to be a spoilsport,but..

unless Elsevier/ Science Direct has designated an article "Free Access",re-use of content is expressly forbidden(UNLESS I'm hugely mistaken)

Removed images 

As long as you are only posting the bits of the paper that make your point, I think given our purpose here at TFF, we are well within the domain of fair use. Just my opinion. 

However, I also think that a credible definition should be found and pinned near the top of the index fo all to see. If we have such, my apologies - I was not able to find it. 

Below is a link about fair use.  I do not suggest it be used as the credible definition, but I found it informative. 

I am tagging @Kane on this as it falls within his area of expertise and he can tell me if I'm all wet or not :)

https://www.baylor.edu/copyright/index.php?id=56543

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

10 minutes ago, Walt said:

As long as you are only posting the bits of the paper that make your point, I think given our purpose here at TFF, we are well within the domain of fair use. Just my opinion. 

However, I also think that a credible definition should be found and pinned near the top of the index fo all to see. If we have such, my apologies - I was not able to find it. 

Below is a link about fair use.  I do not suggest it be used as the credible definition, but I found it informative. 

I am tagging @Kane on this as it falls within his area of expertise and he can tell me if I'm all wet or not :)

https://www.baylor.edu/copyright/index.php?id=56543

There is a provision for educational fair use. That being said, any and all images that are used should be accompanied by complete, accurate citation information - as it also functions as a courtesy to the original author(s). Legally, the forum is a registered DMCA Copyright Agent, and we fully comply with any legitimate copyright takedown requests as per the DMCA. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

There is a provision for educational fair use. That being said, any and all images that are used should be accompanied by complete, accurate citation information - as it also functions as a courtesy to the original author(s). Legally, the forum is a registered DMCA Copyright Agent, and we fully comply with any legitimate copyright takedown requests as per the DMCA. 

Okay citation was provided so I can reinstate the images? Getting mixed messages and have several other topics I can add if this is possible

Fair use rules are a little vague and are up to interpretation by the court. Generally nonprofit use of copyrighted material is more lenient than use of material by for-profit entities. Here are 2 or the better references that mention fair use: one from the Government and one from a US university.  https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html. and https://ucomm.wsu.edu/fair-use/

I agree with Kane that we should give a complete citation of what copyrighted material we post.

Unless we become a haven for posting most or all of a copyrighted reference and do not follow the guidelines in the posts above, we probably do not have to worry too much about being taken to court. We will probably be asked to take down the content.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Archived