A Jaw Fragment

Shellseeker

I was hunting with a couple of TFF friends doing a ground search in an area that produces 90% marine fossils,  Megs, Makos, but no GWs, Whale /Dolphin earbones and vertebrate, ray teeth, fish verts, dugong rib bones with a few mammal bones and teeth, primarily horse. I found this jaw section:

My initial take was whale, but then too small for whale and I switched to gator. I have seen no alligator teeth and lots of whale material.

Is there anything besides size that would confirm or eliminate one or the other ?.  Thanks for comments, suggestions, IDs.

IMG_3235GatorWhale.jpg

IMG_3236GatorWhale.jpg

IMG_3237GatorWhale.jpg

IMG_3238GatorWhale.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

My thought would initially go to gator (or maybe a salt-water crocodilian if it is really a virtually marine deposit). Wonder if there is enough of this mandible to allow @Harry Pristis to weigh in on a possible ID?

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maybe a species of dolphin? 

Beginning to seriously consider Dolphin; @Boesse

Here is a photo of a dolphin/porpoise jaw...

Mine seems slightly larger at 2.6 inches long , 1.5 inches high, .9 inches wide,  The sockets are 12x15 mm.

lc_porp_jaw_2008.jpg.d6c9dba0cf0dd20b4597953f62109534.jpg

1 hour ago, digit said:

My thought would initially go to gator (or maybe a salt-water crocodilian if it is really a virtually marine deposit). Wonder if there is enough of this mandible to allow @Harry Pristis to weigh in on a possible ID?

Cheers.

-Ken

Mine also,

Here is the last side that I did not provide a photo.  It does not"feel" gator but I ahvebeen wrong many times before.

IMG_3239Newholes.thumb.jpg.f5002e8e8a6c00922b1b6eb2cd2568be.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Not crocodilian in my estimation.  What is the white stuff -- limestone?  If it is, it suggests that this is out of the Tampa limestone (about 25 Ma).  That would confirm it's a marine animal, and "whale" would be a reasonable guess.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

There is nothing in the anatomy of this specimen suggesting it is not a small toothed whale.

• I found this Informative 2

Sorry for delay in response.  I returned to the location again today. Found a large dolphin earbone and a small whale/dolphin tooth.

19 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Not crocodilian in my estimation.  What is the white stuff -- limestone?  If it is, it suggests that this is out of the Tampa limestone (about 25 Ma).  That would confirm it's a marine animal, and "whale" would be a reasonable guess.

Harry Yes, Limestone with layers of clay, carst, mudsand on top. Can you elaborate on the connection? Tampa Limestone would REALLY make sense at this location.  

I love whale... This is only my 2nd section of Whale Jaw ever found....:megdance:

FWIW, I did find a nice fossilized croc tooth at that same site, I found it in the same clay that I found some of the shark teeth in. I didn't find any others though.