Folkestone, UK trip advice

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone! My son and I are heading to Folkestone (and possibly Herne Bay if we have time) tomorrow to do some fossil hunting. I’ve heard that Copt Point is the place to go to look. Does anyone have any tips or advice before we go tomorrow? I’ve already checked tide times and have planned most of the trip around it. Thanks!

no advice yet, but I will be waiting for your report :P I hope to get there myself later this year :)

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Take a change of clothes. It can be a little bit muddy. And most fossils are loose, so all you need is a good eye and a bag to put things in. Watch out for the herring gulls, they beg and if you don't feed them they steal. Good luck

Head eastwards on the beach, better collecting in that direction.

As has been said, looking in rock pools, in the shingle and at the base of the cliffs in the mudslides is all you need to do. 

I have found lots of specimens just by casual walking and looking carefully around your feet. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Make sure to go BEYOND the concrete construction and turn tjhe corner (seen from Folkestone)

Finds are much more plentiful over there than closer to the boulevard

But this probably comes too late :-)

Hope you made it and had a good hunt.

Always fun there!

Pat

Archived