Unusual Mollusk Shell?

metwerks

I found this on the Wisconsin shore of Lake Michigan near Racine. It appears to be a hollowed section of a mollusk shell. I have never ran across such a large cavity (about 1-1/4" across and almost 3" long). Also there is a unusual formation inside. Anyone help? Should I grind it down to expose cross section?

20180903_132128.jpg

Interesting...any chance its actually a mold of a solitary coral of some sort and you are seeing the calyx and seeing septa?

You reminded me of a project that I had forgotten about and should go investigate in my garage...Awhile back I didnt want to buy any professional molding material and had sprayed some olive oil and lightly coated the inside of some bivalve molds and squeezed some leftover bathroom caulk into them to see if I could pull out a cast that would show some of the inner details...I'm not sure I should even mention that as I said I dont have any proven results but the thought was it would help the ID process if I could figure out what was inside the void...

Hoping someone who does more collecting up your way can offer some other ideas and possible ID approaches...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

Could be...I know very little about and looking for advise from folks much more knowledgeable. There is a spiral pattern to it which is why I was thinking shell vs coral. Corals are more of rings but I could be wrong

Thanks for the additional photos...I cant find my limited Paleo/coral stuff to compare your latest photos to...Will bump this again and see if any others more versed in inverts might answer your questions...

Regards, Chris