Shark tooth?

RocknReynolds

Looking for some feedback on these 3 items: (I'm a total newbie...)

1. Neat looking bivalve. I hadn't seen one like that since I starting collecting and assume it is an oyster

2. Shark tooth missing the root? Just wanted to make sure it was a shark tooth and not something else

3. Looks like the root of the tooth that has broken off

Sherman, Texas area

Sherman TX Sept2018.png

1) oyster

2) shark tooth, scapanorhynchus texanum?

3) need more pictures, looks like enamel. Could be ptychodus or mastodon tooth bit?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You seem to be spot on on the IDs. Good job!

That shark tooth (#2) is very worn, but is sand tiger a possibility? 

The bivalve is definitely oyster. And a smashing one too! Beautiful :wub:  

That third one confuses me. I'm thinking it could be part of a ray dermal denticle, with the end part broken off. Or some kind of tooth. Inked5b8d85bf44a08_ShermanTXSept2018.png.57b760ec7e0d1286804723b9ad28be4f_LI.jpg.367ff4b09e8ca6e27bdec2428c4ef721.jpg

In case of a tooth, the way I see it is as such: red is the crown, blue is the root. 

In the case of ray dermal denticle, then red would be the "spike" and blue the part that is in the skin. 

I'm not familiar with fossils from the Sherman area (or Texas in general). Do you know what age they are from?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1. Oyster

2. Scapanorhynchus sp.

3. Ptychodus whipplei

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Archived