Jaw section

austinswamp

Selenodont dentition, could be a cattle jaw.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

31 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

Not all that convinced, aren't those three molars?

Actually 3 1/2 molars are in the piece.

Agree with bovine (cow).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 hours ago, austinswamp said:

Is this what I think it is?

IMG_20180903_153249_357.jpg

What were you thinking it was?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Looks like too much wear for a calf.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This is NOT like any cow/calf I have ever seen and I have seen LOTS of them. Details on length and location found....? I am thinking sheep or goat. EDITED to change my opinion to peccary or modern Sus @Harry Pristis

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

This is an odd one.  Almost certainly an artiodactyl mandible with half of p3 - m2.  Too small to be a cow.  Not goat, but sheep is possible.  That p4 should prove diagnostic.  Apparently, a senile individual and likely not a fossil.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Interesting! I think, but I'm really not sure, it might be something in the line of a pig. :) I could be wrong.

IMG_20180903_153249_357.jpg.0aa2be21478c9ce1f9415e644e00bd7f.thumb.jpg.14c27fc4b58fa1a09f2969c079833686.jpg199-ANDERSetal2011IDASklein.jpg.770b9c4f0ce627892c641ebf479b781e.jpg

excerpt from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Well, pig and peccary were among the things I eliminated before I responded.  I don't have any sheep teeth for comparison.  Austinswamp, you didn't find this near a South Texas hunting ranch that has exotic animals, did you?

What seest thou else

It is difficult to find a decent occlusal view of a sheep lower jaw,  This is the closest example I could find..

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/sheep-tooth.html

There are lots of similarities to Austinswamp's jaw.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Well, I had these two modern jaws labeled as sheep in my collection. Now thinking I may have been wrong, because the teeth are very different from those in the jaw of the OP.

What do you think mine are?

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

That's Sus scrofa,  Max . . . a domestic pig.

Ah ok. Sus scrofa it is. Thanks :) 

Is it possible to distinguish wild boar from pig?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 9/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, Harry Pristis said:

Well, pig and peccary were among the things I eliminated before I responded.  I don't have any sheep teeth for comparison.  Austinswamp, you didn't find this near a South Texas hunting ranch that has exotic animals, did you?

Central Texas Travis county

On 9/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, Max-fossils said:

Well, I had these two modern jaws labeled as sheep in my collection. Now thinking I may have been wrong, because the teeth are very different from those in the jaw of the OP.

What do you think mine are?

These definitely resemble Sus scrofa, as Harry said it earlier in the topic.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...

I have no idea where in Travis county he found it, but Texas has a lot of exotic animal farms. Llamas are fairly common on farms besides exotic animal farms. Could it be llama? I’m thinking they would be a bit bigger, but their bigness is mostly legs and neck.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, abyssunder said:

These definitely resemble Sus scrofa, as Harry said it earlier in the topic.

No, that's not right.  I said that I eliminated Sus scrofa as a possibility.  I could have been right or wrong, but don't mis-quote me.

I still think it's not Sus, and I think that a careful comparison of tooth positions will confirm it.

_unid_ariodactyl_LI.jpg.24dc8340aebd05349eb5c806b3bb244e.jpg                                                             pig_sus_scrofa.JPG.41c51cb5d5bd99561b8248aea0d820e0.JPG

pig_sus_scrofa_m2_m3.thumb.JPG.be7b86fd28d2d601100a9c1ec41328f4.JPG

What seest thou else

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

No, that's not right.  I said that I eliminated Sus scrofa as a possibility.  I could have been right or wrong, but don't mis-quote me.

Harry, I was referring to Max's specimens not to the O.P.'s.
I thought you were referring to Max's specimens saying "That's Sus scrofa,  Max . . . a domestic pig.". :)

Thomas Mann

My Library