DanJeavs

A few months back, I spent three days along the Whitby coastline. It was a very good three days of collecting, but my last find of them days, is to this day my best find. I had decided to head to Runswick Bay. My legs and back were exhausted, so decided the short walk to to car park would be fairly light on the legs. Now, in my experience, Runswick hasn’t really produced much in the past for me, so I hadn’t gotten my hopes up too much. So you can imagine my shock, when I see a rather large nodule day there in Situ. I’ll let the pictures say the rest:D

F8BA706F-4E99-40F9-8185-726C4348889E.jpeg

8832CF86-9FE2-4B03-9F4E-CDE4AC14C102.jpeg

0CEC28B9-6635-4E7B-A841-389ACB79949F.jpeg

8997FAE3-D27D-45DA-A3F2-87D533DD1D87.jpeg

5708F6A6-D579-4DFF-B86B-0413CFEC17E5.jpeg

CEBFAF27-4496-44A5-9691-7DC0F7E7432C.jpeg

Excellent.. good prep job too - I like ho you're able to retain most of the shell.

I take it the 'filling' inside the shell is solid pyrite?

51 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Blinking marvelous! :)

What a brilliant find! 

Congratulations! 

Thank you, can’t wait for it to be finished! 

23 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That's a beaut! Is there a lot of pyrite in it?

It certainly :D Luckily the outer is only coated badly, there’s some spots where it’s more prominent than others. It’s the joys of these Yorkshire nodules. I have a Hildoceras in a nodule that’s fully pyrite. It’s been a living nightmare trying to prep it. I envy other places for this reason haha

16 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Excellent.. good prep job too - I like ho you're able to retain most of the shell.

I take it the 'filling' inside the shell is solid pyrite?

Thanks, there’s a few annoying tool marks on some which were unavoidable with how awkward the matrix can be sometimes. Some areas tend to be worse than others with the pyrite. I have some nodules which make me want to pull my hair out with how bad it can get. 

12 minutes ago, DanJeavs said:

It certainly :D Luckily the outer is only coated badly, there’s some spots where it’s more prominent than others. It’s the joys of these Yorkshire nodules. I have a Hildoceras in a nodule that’s fully pyrite. It’s been a living nightmare trying to prep it. I envy other places for this reason haha

Patience is a virtue ;) (Of course that easy for me to say :P I've had my struggles with that stuff as well.)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Patience is a virtue ;) (Of course that easy for me to say :P I've had my struggles with that stuff as well.)

It certainly is! Especially when you find good specimens like these, I’m still contemplating weather to go into the bottom right corner. I have a feeling there’s a few more beauties in there! There’s also two pretty large ones on the rear of the nodule, although they’re no where near complete so have left them. Hoping to head out to Germany next year, any recommended spots to head out to? 

5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

There rear ones previously mentioned 

C6AEB74C-C03C-4D01-9E5F-EDF2641AB5AD.jpeg

Was the second picture after you opened it? Or you found it opened like that. Someone must have been crazy to leave that.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

Looks like you have the entire extended family in that rock. 

Certainly so, hopefully there's a few more family members to reveal ;)

2 hours ago, LiamL said:

Was the second picture after you opened it? Or you found it opened like that. Someone must have been crazy to leave that.

Yes mate, that was after opening it while there. It must have been from a fall that day I reckon.

On 4.9.2018 at 12:24 AM, DanJeavs said:

It certainly is! Especially when you find good specimens like these, I’m still contemplating weather to go into the bottom right corner. I have a feeling there’s a few more beauties in there! There’s also two pretty large ones on the rear of the nodule, although they’re no where near complete so have left them. Hoping to head out to Germany next year, any recommended spots to head out to? 

There's a lot to choose from and I wouldn't know where to start until you tell me a little more exactly which part(s) of the country you're planning to visit. In the meantime, you could check out my content under Europe, since I've posted quite a bit about German sites in the past going back a few years.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived