Dog, Wolf, Bear Tooth?

Cachersusie

We found this tooth today in a gravel bed of a creek while looking for shark teeth. Can anyone help me determine what it is? I would appreciate any feedback. :)

20180904_183411.jpg

In your last photo, it seems to have a "carina".   See this thread,  At that size, likely a smaller predator, possibly coyote.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

47 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

In your last photo, it seems to have a "carina".   See this thread,  At that size, likely a smaller predator, possibly coyote.

It does seem to have a line or ridge that I didn't really notice before. 

That is a nice find. I am not sure if that is a "fossil" or a modern tooth with some mineralization. I am leaning towards modern.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

8 hours ago, Darktooth said:

That is a nice find. I am not sure if that is a "fossil" or a modern tooth with some mineralization. I am leaning towards modern.

Just to be sure, see if there's a dog in the neighborhood named "Gappy". :P

1 hour ago, Darko said:

Very similar like mine...

Tony was trying to say that jackals were never in Texas (or in the US in general), so that jackal wasn't a possibility. All 3 jackal species were only in Europe-Asia-Africa, not in America.

There is a strong similarity between both teeth, so that means that your tooth must be closely related to this tooth.

Which tells us that the tooth in the OP is most likely also from something within the Canis genus. ;) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Darko said:

Very similar like mine...

Yep, but.... what Max said....

35 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

jackals were never in Texas (or in the US in general), so that jackal wasn't a possibility. All 3 jackal species were only in Europe-Asia-Africa, not in America.

There is a strong similarity between both teeth, so that means that your tooth must be closely related to this tooth.

Which tells us that the tooth in the OP is most likely also from something within the Canis genus. ;) 

Which brings Us to either coyote or wolf (or domestic dog if it is not  fossil) as the most likely identity.

@Harry Pristis what is Your take on this tooth?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you all for replying. Someone on Facebook said he was sure it was from a bear, which it does look like bear teeth I looked up, but it appears to be pretty modern and we don't have bear here.  I'm not sure what it is, but it was kind of a cool find while we were hunting shark teeth. 

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

Just to be sure, see if there's a dog in the neighborhood named "Gappy". :P

Haha, he might want his tooth back.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Yep, but.... what Max said....

Which brings Us to either coyote or wolf (or domestic dog if it is not  fossil) as the most likely identity.

@Harry Pristis what is Your take on this tooth?

It looks to me like a canid canine . . . domestic dog, coyote, red wolf, maybe.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

22 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It looks to me like a canid canine . . . domestic dog, coyote, red wolf, maybe.

Thank you for your help :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 4:56 PM, Cachersusie said:

Thank you all for replying. Someone on Facebook said he was sure it was from a bear, which it does look like bear teeth I looked up, but it appears to be pretty modern and we don't have bear here.  I'm not sure what it is, but it was kind of a cool find while we were hunting shark teeth. 

There is stuff from the Pleistocene in Sherman area. I’m not sure if that is where it is from, but it could still be from a bear. There were bears in the Texas Pleistocene.

Does it seem to be fossilized? Maybe a little heavier and harder than you’d expect?

1 minute ago, KimTexan said:

There is stuff from the Pleistocene in Sherman area. I’m not sure if that is where it is from, but it could still be from a bear. There were bears in the Texas Pleistocene.

Does it seem to be fossilized? Maybe a little heavier and harder than you’d expect?

Pretty small for a bear.

11 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

It seems fairly light to me or at least not heavier than I would expect.  

2 minutes ago, Cachersusie said:

It seems fairly light to me or at least not heavier than I would expect.  

Because of the appearance of Your tooth, I think it is a "fossil". 

You can try the "burn test" on the root and see of it smells like burnt hair. If it does then it is modern.

Just hold a flame under the bottom of the root.

13 minutes ago, ynot said:

Because of the appearance of Your tooth, I think it is a "fossil". 

You can try the "burn test" on the root and see of it smells like burnt hair. If it does then it is modern.

Just hold a flame under the bottom of the root.

We tried the burn test but it didn't give off a bad smell like burnt hair or anything.  

10 hours ago, Cachersusie said:

We tried the burn test but it didn't give off a bad smell like burnt hair or anything.  

There is little collagen in dentin or enamel, so it doesn't surprise me that the test was inconclusive.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived