NCSTer

Need some help with this one. I really don't have any idea what it might be -- other than possibly some skeletal bone or maybe even some kind of periotic ear bone??? The only age and location info I can supply is that I found it in a bag of Fla "cookie cutter creek" matrix that I got from @jcbshark  --  maybe he'll chime in with an ID.  Hope the pics are adequate; and please note they were taken without regard for the positional indicators on the metric cube. (This is my 1st attempt at resizing and posting pics, so please be gentle.)

Thanks for looking...... and helping.

DSCN0189.png

DSCN0190.png

DSCN0191.png

DSCN0194.png

DSCN0195.png

DSCN0197.png

DSCN0198.png

It also looks like one of the worn Tilly fish bones from the creek but a little different ... Looks also a little smaller than the ones I have... How long is it?

Regards,  Chris

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Plantguy said:

How long is it?

Maybe I didn't utilize the measuring cube as well as I could have, but the specimen is approx 2.00cm x 1.75cm x 1.00cm.

Thanks for the tilly bone lead guys, I can see it.

I typically think of tilly bones as being asymmetrical; but since they really are just abnormalities, I guess there are no rules.

Your pics and scale are great...I was looking at my phone at lunch and with some fairly old eyes and its tiny compared to the laptop images and what specimens I have. You done good...great find. 

They do tend to have some definite symmetry to them. 

Regards, Chris 

Maybe it's close to what is called Emmons's "fish tooth".

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder

I have a number of Emmons "fish teeth" from several NC sites (they're a frequent find around here -- can't say if the same holds true for Fla or not) and unfortunately none of them show a resemblance to this specimen, but thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts. 

I like abyssunders and al dentes ideas. I took some photos of the "L" shaped Tilly's I have from that creek. There is a general similar shape but yours seem to have more flared out ends.  I'm not sure if yours is a smaller version better preserved immature version or something completely different...probably the latter. 

5b93cec35fc95_Tillybones.thumb.jpg.63c7b7de8c65fcaa34c341a340c4afd1.jpg

Here's a link that Lori provided awhile back that has photos of some of the Tilly's from Florida...

W. J. Tiffany et al. 1980. Hyperostosis in Florida fossil fishes. Florida Scientist 43(1): 44-49

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for the pics and the link @Plantguy.  I think a couple of your Tilly bones show a pretty good resemblance to my specimen.  I think you guys have nailed it! .....  and with al dente's neuralcranium reference I'll be calling this one a cranial Tilly bone.

Thanks all for helping solve this one!