Baddadcp

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

Location? Location? and close up pictures?

in the tags. Maryland Arundel formation. Close up of what part?

3 minutes ago, Baddadcp said:

in the tags. Maryland Arundel formation. Close up of what part?

I tend to miss the tags.:wacko: (they are more for search functions) It is best to put any pertinent information in the post (please).:D

Whatever part You think is a fossil.:headscratch:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 hours ago, ynot said:

I tend to miss the tags.:wacko: (they are more for search functions) It is best to put any pertinent information in the post (please).:D

Being a rank amateur, I don't know what's important.

5 hours ago, ynot said:

I need my hand held. If I put every thing that I felt was pertinent, I would run out of data. But in this case the sum is greater than the parts. But I will bring this back as exhibit A. What did you guys call it? Blobus Maximus?

mud bean top 2.jpg

mud bean top1.jpg

looks like a crocodile coprolite to me. please a close-up of it and could you also make a close-up of this part?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c6e74ee4e143c5b6b4081ec9e7480a4c.jpg

These look like concretions/nodules to me. 

I find similar blobs in the Jurassic formations I hunt here in Connecticut. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

4 hours ago, Baddadcp said:

Being a rank amateur, I don't know what's important.

Listen to us and we will help you to no longer be a "rank amateur". We are here to help educate you.

It is unclear in your tags that the Arundel is a formation since you only included an "f". Go ahead and edit that to say Fm. or Formation.

After creating tags, it is always good form to repeat all the pertinent information such as formation, age and specific locality including county and nearby town at the beginning of every post. A state is a large locality and should be narrowed down.

The better your information and photo, the better our ID's will be. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

It's the sort of thing that can sometimes be inferred by one who has a good understanding of the depositional environment in that specific area. The forms are too common to be diagnostic by themselves though.

14 hours ago, Indagator said:

looks like a crocodile coprolite to me. please a close-up of it and could you also make a close-up of this part?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c6e74ee4e143c5b6b4081ec9e7480a4c.jpg

The big piece is a gymnosperm lignite piece. The other is inconsequential, mostly wet coloration. Did you want the little bumps too?

Lignite in plate..jpg

13 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

After creating tags, it is always good form to repeat all the pertinent information such as formation, age and specific locality including county and nearby town at the beginning of every post. A state is a large locality and should be narrowed down.

Cretaceous localities are pretty closely held secrets in MD, they are sparse and close to multiple major metropolitan areas and could be overrun in a snap. Heard of one site that happened to. All lower Cretaceous I know is in “dinosaur alley”, from Virginia through DC and into Baltimore. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just as an FYI, Coprolites have been found in this group before though not necessarily the same formation.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

this looks like (fish) bones that's why i think it might be a coprolite.

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.7f517f71bfcde6a6bc21a704769b6e3b.jpg

Thanks for the close-up. I don't think this is anything geological but can't see the structure well enough to say it is bone or fish. Quite interesting

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.bff78943889d47714b308314afd1ef63.jpg

9 hours ago, Indagator said:

this looks like (fish) bones that's why i think it might be a coprolite.

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.7f517f71bfcde6a6bc21a704769b6e3b.jpg

Thanks for the close-up. I don't think this is anything geological but can't see the structure well enough to say it is bone or fish. Quite interesting

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.bff78943889d47714b308314afd1ef63.jpg

That particular piece is almost assuredly plant remains. I will take another angle for you. The blob has been flogged before with no conclusion. Blemishes are nondescript.

3 hours ago, Baddadcp said:

That particular piece is almost assuredly plant remains. I will take another angle for you. The blob has been flogged before with no conclusion. Blemishes are nondescript.

Here is another angle of the feature you want and some close ups of inclusions in the blob.

obverse plate 4.jpg

mud bean inclusion 3 splash edge.jpg

mud bean inclusion 2a 8-8.jpg

mud bean inclusion 1 8-8.jpg

Archived