the forum was mentioned in the news

subsonicdrone

31 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Written by the paper's crime reporter! :)

That explains how a couple of slabs became "fossil beds" :)

They were pretty chocked full though, weren't they.

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

9 minutes ago, Walt said:

That explains how a couple of slabs became "fossil beds" :)

They were pretty chocked full though, weren't they.

Indeed they were.

Perhaps she's investigating the mysterious deaths of all these invertebrates. 

Could they be suspecting murder? 

A serial killer?  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed they were.

Perhaps she's investigating the mysterious deaths of all these invertebrates. 

Could they be suspecting murder? 

A serial killer?  

About time someone looked into these mass murders!  Especially the one at the corner of K and T.  Outrageous :)

"McKinley believes the fossil beds are from the Devonian period, before fish, possibly as old as 250 million years, when this area was the site of a shallow inland sea. "

Somebody needs to do a bit of fact checking here, not to mention that the fossils themselves look more like branching bryozoans than corals.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The Fossil Forum Facebook page isn't nearly as informative as the actual Forum itself. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Because you are not there, Ben. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm a social media NON-USERB)(  )

edit:And it's not a "generation-gappy" kinda thing.

********euh********

(I watched Rawhide in B & W)

head ém up

Funny story but fake news. As far as I know, the only natural deposits that occur on the surface in Brampton originated with the glaciers. Mostly sand and gravel. I should know since I lived there for 10 years and still visit regularly. Of course there is the remote possibility that the rocks were actually deposited in the area by the glaciers, but I rather think that these paleozoic bryozoans were almost certainly imported from elsewhere many miles distant. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the previous owners was a fossil collector.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Funny story but fake news

Arrest the crime reporter!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

9 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I'm a social media NON-USERB)(  )

@doushantuo, Ben, you(we) are a user of one of the best run social media websites that exists: TFF. It is not like (many Facebook sites) the wild west of Rowdy Yates times.

Can anyone figure out how to search TFF Facebook website for content (I view only TFF public Facebook site)? It seems like I am searching a mile high stack of paper reports on a desk, page by page, organized by time and date. On the regular TFF website at least you can use a search box and things are organized by category.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I just read the article - I'd say that the fossils in question are Upper Ordovician from the Georgian Bay Formation, because it looks like the bivalve in the middle is Ambonychia radiata, which is probably the most common bivalve that Viola and I come across when we hunt our local creeks in Toronto/Mississauga.  And I agree that the surrounding fossils are branching bryozoans (as stated by @Northern Sharks), which is also a pretty common find for the area (just perhaps not quite so abundant in one piece).  So, I agree with @Ludwigia - the previous home owner was probably a local fossil hunter who found this piece in a local river/creek and kept it in the garden as a decorative feature.

(By the way, @doushantuo - I'm also a social media non-user (I'm only on TFF) and proud of it! :dinothumb:)

3 hours ago, Monica said:

By the way, @doushantuo - I'm also a social media non-user (I'm only on TFF) and proud of it! 

aw c'mon, guys....haven't you ever had the urge to "friend" someone you've never laid eyes on and tell them all the juicy bits of your personal life?  :rofl:

Waaaaay back when I was in the news and paper for fossils a few times and they always got parts of it wrong.  Also, this may be a neat rock, but nothing I would waste my time on. 

RB

Archived