Theropod indet. ?

Masp

This is an Afrovenator tooth from Marraba, Niger (Tiouraren Formation).  The fossil is in rough shape, but rare.  I’m still working developing an eye for noting the differences, but still difficult for me..Having trouble determining if it is indeed Afrovenator, Carcharodontosaurus sp. , or undescribed theropod. I tried comparing different teeth,  but still have issues. Any opinion on this appreciated. 

48E9BC83-1ECF-466C-A9C1-511269988A64.jpeg

3679C1EA-3B98-40E7-AD12-635F80C2556A.jpeg

E09C64C0-CE6E-4BA4-BBEF-C1821622136D.jpeg

E84F63F1-25B4-4D61-9D87-E5CD30A372AF.jpeg

4EB8C4C4-53DD-4F5A-914A-20AC02687C4F.jpeg

FE441B8D-14F8-424B-A6AA-B2586D2A74DA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The preservation is definitely Tiouraren Fm.  Size, curvature and serrations tell me it is Afrovenator.  Very similar to Allosaurus.  

• I found this Informative 6

I’ve done a bit of research on these teeth for my own Afrovenator tooth. Like JPC said the preservation matches. The serrations end halfway up on the anterior end suggesting that it is a Megalosauridae tooth. I think it’s safe to call it Afrovenator. However, there is speculation that there are more than one megalosaurids in the Tiouraren because serration count has variation among teeth.

• I found this Informative 3

11 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

I’ve done a bit of research on these teeth for my own Afrovenator tooth. Like JPC said the preservation matches. The serrations end halfway up on the anterior end suggesting that it is a Megalosauridae tooth. I think it’s safe to call it Afrovenator. However, there is speculation that there are more than one megalosaurids in the Tiouraren because serration count has variation among teeth.

I saw your tooth here on the forum...it’s amazing. You’re lucky to have one in such great condition. Thanks for contributing

This is a beautiful fossil. Interesting preservation details!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

48 minutes ago, Masp said:

I saw your tooth here on the forum...it’s amazing. You’re lucky to have one in such great condition. Thanks for contributing

Thank you! Yours is just as nice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Teeth from this location are extremely difficult to ID due to lack of scientific research and therefore it is technically a theropod indet tooth. That doesn't mean the tooth does not originate from an Afrovenator however you just cannot be certain. I have a tooth that is similar which was also being sold as an Afrovenator abakensis tooth and most if not all of the teeth that I saw from this source had similar preservations (my pic makes the tooth look whiter as it's taken in the daylight). I would be curious to see a wider sample of teeth labelled as Afrovenator from that area to see if they are similar! I am still going to call mine Afrovenator.

20180820_184716.thumb.jpg.d2954cee54debbe41041c11d57f02cce.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled across the paper I used to ID my Afrovenator tooth:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/pdf/10.4202/app.00056.2013

Page 631 talks about serration density and shape (2/mm on the mesial and 3/mm on the distal).  However, with all the Afrovenator teeth that hit the market, there was variation in serration count/mm varying across teeth suggesting there may be more unnamed megalosaurids and ceratosaurids.

Not sure if links to papers are allowed or not so feel free to delete it if it's not allowed mods :D