Aurelius

Cambropallas trilobites, a study in restoration

Innocentx
1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

this was part of a production-line process where someone just did what he thought he was supposed to do.

Rather messy job on the pleural spines not matching up on the first two, right side. Interesting to think about the people doing this work and how fast they may be required to go. Conjures up images of sweat and noise.

Hope you have good luck in your endeavor.

LordTrilobite

Quite interesting. I can't say that I've seen "washed" Cambropallas before. Very informative on what parts are real.

Tidgy's Dad

Very interesting and useful post.

Thanks for sharing.

And I think you're pretty much correct in all your assumptions. 

Johannes

Mentioning 65% of your first shown trilobite are real, might be a little bit of a wild guess... The red marked areas are (maybe) original fossil material, from my experience in this topic not guaranting that those puzzle parts are from the same individual...

faketrilofax.jpg

Malcolmt

Very interesting post with great pictures. Unfortunately  am wary of most Moroccan material that I have not prepped from scratch myself.

Aurelius
On 06/09/2018 at 9:52 AM, Johannes said:

Mentioning 65% of your first shown trilobite are real, might be a little bit of a wild guess... The red marked areas are (maybe) original fossil material, from my experience in this topic not guaranting that those puzzle parts are from the same individual...

Not a guess - the picture doesn't show it as clearly, but there are very clear signs of proper fossil material throughout the entire area that I indicated. It's just been covered in material to try and improve the aesthetics. That isn't to say that there may not be gaps, or compositing.  

bcfossilcollector

Very informative!