Need ID on small NSR Tooth w root that we can’t figure out!

shel67

I carefully dug this very small tooth from the wall of the North Sulphur River in Ladonia, Texas. A few people have determined that it is not a mosasaur tooth. It has a straight root and the tooth is rounded and not flattened like a typical shark tooth. Any help on this little guy would be appreciated! 

84640C32-218E-4D0D-BC40-B13B4C50CF37.jpeg

D7B3BF34-43BC-40C1-AD95-2D8DE4066708.jpeg

E72890E3-22CA-4B01-B451-331E111D7554.jpeg

B8698002-6049-431F-8885-4C4C5B042822.jpeg

7A5AACCA-F82C-4C81-BE06-82365A717EDA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Can you start using a better looking penny, we are way too high class on here to use grotty coins. :rofl:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

30 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Can you start using a better looking penny, we are way too high class on here to use grotty coins. :rofl:

:hearty-laugh: I like to add a little grunge effect to my photos. Lol!!!!

That is unusual.  It might just be some type of fish tooth, or maybe something much more rare.  Hopefully Marco Sr.  takes a look at it.  He is good with small teeth.

@MarcoSr

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

10 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Odd little tooth. Don’t know what it is, but great find! 

Thank you! It really is a very odd little tooth. I’m eager to find out what it is. :)

10 hours ago, Ramo said:

That is unusual.  It might just be some type of fish tooth, or maybe something much more rare.  Hopefully Marco Sr.  takes a look at it.  He is good with small teeth.

@MarcoSr

Thank you!! Yes, any help would be appreciated! I’m very excited to find out what this is! 

22 hours ago, Ramo said:

@MarcoSr

I really don't recognize this specimen.  There are a number of striated fish teeth from the Cretaceous.  There are lots of different striated reptile teeth from the Cretaceous.  The tooth doesn't look like croc to me.  Someone who really knows the striated Cretaceous fish and reptile teeth would need to comment like @non-remanié or @Carl.   From the size it might be one of the flying reptiles.  Maybe @Auspex  can comment on that?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Perhaps Sawshark?

~~.jpg

The above image was cropped from this post: LINK

• I found this Informative 5

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Normally I can help on ID but I'm not sure on this one. Even my buddy Mick who has hunted the area for 10 yrs is not sure. I think it's some sort of fish. 

On 9/5/2018 at 2:24 PM, shel67 said:

I carefully dug this very small tooth from the wall of the North Sulphur River in Ladonia,

Can You post a straight down picture of the crown?

I wonder if it is maybe a pterosaur? (as marcosr suggested.)

My other thought was plesiosaur, but it seems to small for that.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

20 minutes ago, ynot said:

Can You post a straight down picture of the crown?

I wonder if it is maybe a pterosaur? (as marcosr suggested.)

My other thought was plesiosaur, but it seems to small for that.

Here are some different angles. I hope this helps! 

B8FFCCD1-295D-404E-B198-1AF656C15D59.jpeg

B3CF4166-DE60-497B-A999-D4211889700D.jpeg

61DAD336-7D99-446D-BCBB-F0A0E16B5AD2.jpeg

6C7260EB-1E94-409D-BB7E-605C47E82A79.jpeg

D743A4AB-C2CB-458F-BDEA-2503F1F6D33F.jpeg

F1C3008E-4C3E-48E3-B869-7140F6DE7830.jpeg

176D4EF3-E00F-465C-A846-4A5A6239C84D.jpeg

62D5D462-BD7A-471D-AE69-C81C2DEE68E7.jpeg

E295A421-435B-4D4C-BCEB-BD1E13F63E8E.jpeg

E6AC342A-EF8D-4D63-A7E6-785F35B8E127.jpeg

37199EEC-935B-46AF-8C51-402EF97E4930.jpeg

All I can say is it does not have the cross section I would expect from a rostral spineIt looks like it has 2 carnie (cutting edge).

I wonder what @Troodon, @-Andy-, @hxmendoza, think about it.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Tiny Enchodus tooth? Enchodus has two carnie. 

EDIT: The more I look at it, I only see one cutting edge, so not Enchodus.

14 minutes ago, ynot said:

All I can say is it does not have the cross section I would expect from a rostral spineIt looks like it has 2 carnie (cutting edge).

I wonder what @Troodon, @-Andy-, @hxmendoza, think about it.

This is beyond me haha. I saw this thread earlier but I have no idea what it is either.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

49 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

This is beyond me haha. I saw this thread earlier but I have no idea what it is either.

Leave it to me to find something weird that can’t be identified. :D

22 minutes ago, shel67 said:

Leave it to me to find something weird that can’t be identified. :D

Lol it's cool whatever it is. Mike Everhart and Anthony Maltese didn't know and that's the two experts I normally use. 

13 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Lol it's cool whatever it is. Mike Everhart and Anthony Maltese didn't know and that's the two experts I normally use. 

Thank you so much, Jarrod, and everyone else that’s tried to ID this little tooth. Hopefully we all can figure it out. I do appreciate your help as always! :D 

On 9/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, MarcoSr said:

I really don't recognize this specimen.  There are a number of striated fish teeth from the Cretaceous.  There are lots of different striated reptile teeth from the Cretaceous.  The tooth doesn't look like croc to me.  Someone who really knows the striated Cretaceous fish and reptile teeth would need to comment like @non-remanié or @Carl.   From the size it might be one of the flying reptiles.  Maybe @Auspex  can comment on that?

Marco Sr.

Just seeing this. That tooth has be stumped. But thanks a million for the recognition, Marco Sr.!

42 minutes ago, Carl said:

Just seeing this. That tooth has be stumped. But thanks a million for the recognition, Marco Sr.!

Thank you for taking a look, @Carl! Do you think there’s any possibility it is a flying reptile? 

2 minutes ago, shel67 said:

Thank you for taking a look, @Carl! Do you think there’s any possibility it is a flying reptile? 

It doesn't resemble any of the pterosaur teeth that I have seen. My gut smells a fish but that's just instinct. I wanna know what this thing is, too!

20 minutes ago, Carl said:

It doesn't resemble any of the pterosaur teeth that I have seen. My gut smells a fish but that's just instinct. I wanna know what this thing is, too!

I really appreciate your help! If you happen to have any other ideas, please let me know if you would. ;)

The specimen looks like it's worn more like a tooth than a spine.  I don't think it's a sawfish rostral spine because those have smooth enameloid.  I don't think it's a sawshark rostral spine.  There were sawsharks then but they are found in deepwater environments and their spines, while they can exhibit folds, tend not to be to the degree seen in the given specimen.  The root doesn't look right for it either.  I can't rule that out because late Cretaceous sawshark specimens are rarely found.

It's so small I would tend to rule out marine reptile but what about a pterygoidal tooth of something like Platycarpus - maybe a juvenile.  It is tempting just to say it's a weird fish tooth.  I would ask Bruce Welton or Jean-Pierre Biddle.