Some Type of Bone?

Cachersusie

We found this yesterday at the edge of a creek.  We dug into a little mound that was full of fossilized shark teeth and oysters.   Does anyone know what it might be?  Thank you in advance. You all are so helpful here. 

20180906_121348.jpg

Humm, bizarre!  My initial thought would be a worn part of a barnacle.

Perhaps others would have better input.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Rudist? 

Definitely not bone, though. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think calcite is correct, but in the form of a thick fragment of Inoceramus clam with an eroded oyster attached.  Others that hunt the creeks in Grayson County can elaborate more.  :)

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Inoceramus fragment is likely and is common in the Austin Group limestones in Grayson County. 

Do you know the locality and formation(s) the rock was from? Show us some of the teeth and oysters that you found. Guilt by association helps us to give fossil IDs.

I wonder if you were near Post Oak Creek in Sherman.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

34 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Inoceramus fragment is likely and is common in the Austin Group limestones in Grayson County. 

Do you know the locality and formation(s) the rock was from? Show us some of the teeth and oysters that you found. Guilt by association helps us to give fossil IDs.

I wonder if you were near Post Oak Creek in Sherman.

Post Oak Creek is exactly where we were.  I've read it's Cretaceous, but that's all I know about what period or formation. We don't really bring the oysters home but we had a couple of them.  Here is a group picture of our finds for the last couple of weeks. Some of the things on the far left bottom we aren't sure what they are. So far we can only can recognize shark teeth and also the crusher teeth, so we usually pick things up that look interesting or different. If you see anything you want a close picture of just let me know. Thank you for your help.  

20180906_191731.jpg

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Looks like you got quite a few "sharpies".

We really enjoy finding the shark teeth. My daughter found the biggest one we have found yet from the creek.  It was broke but still the biggest even in that condition. I can only imagine how big the shark was it came from.  

20180906_192229.jpg

The oysters at Post Oak Creek are Cameleolopha bellaplicata. You have a branching bryozoa colony to the lower right of the top oyster in your photo. The bryozoa grow on the oysters. 

20180906_191731.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

15 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The oysters at Post Oak Creek are Cameleolopha bellaplicata. You have a branching bryozoa colony to the lower right of the top oyster in your photo. The bryozoa grow on the oysters. 

20180906_191731.jpg

Thank you for identifying that little white piece.  We had no ide what it was but thought it looked kind of neat.  Now I can put a label on it.  Thank you. :)

Nice finds. I've found some killer teeth and my best artifact from POC

5 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Nice finds. I've found some killer teeth and my best artifact from POC

There seems to be so much stuff in POC.  I wish we were advanced enough to recognize more, but hopefully that will come with time. We have found some chert and flakes but no artifacts yet.