KimTexan

23 minutes ago, BobWill said:

I'm not much help with the sutures but I'll pass along my vague notions of possible answers.

I haven't heard about any different species besides B. aquilaensis found at NSR so it would be a possible new occurrence if it's different.

Hum, the DPS Ocasional Papers NSR book lists 2 species in the macro fauna list, but I didn’t realize it was specific to the Wolfe City Sandstone. Then they have one for the Pecan Gap. That doesn’t list the B. aquilaensis either. I didn’t realize till just now that the tables are divided into Ozan, Wolfe City and Pecan Gap. Doh!

B. aquilaensis  is only noted in the Ozan.

So in the river there are 5 species noted in the area. But only B. aquilaensis was presented at the symposium.

I have no doubt there are 2 species represented in the 5 examples. There is nothing simple whatsoever about the sutures on the larger ones. Also the shape of the two differ. One is compressed on one side and the other is oval. I have many of the larger ones which are compressed on one side, but they don’t have visible sutures.

I do get the wearing down of sutures and how it can take away the detail, but I still don’t think it would remove evidence of those sutures that actually angle in or outward from the other saddles or lobes. I could be wrong. I’ve got a lot more specimens. I need to dig them out and compare.

I’ll have to do that later. I just got paged into work again. At least it isn’t 11:00 PM.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Hum, the DPS Ocasional Papers NSR book lists 2 species in the macro fauna list, but I didn’t realize it was specific to the Wolfe City Sandstone. Then they have one for the Pecan Gap. That doesn’t list the B. aquilaensis either. I didn’t realize till just now that the tables are divided into Ozan, Wolfe City and Pecan Gap. Doh!

B. aquilaensis  is only noted in the Ozan.

So in the river there are 5 species noted in the area. But only B. aquilaensis was presented at the symposium.

I have no doubt there are 2 species represented in the 5 examples. There is nothing simple whatsoever about the sutures on the larger ones. Also the shape of the two differ. One is compressed on one side and the other is oval. I have many of the larger ones which are compressed on one side, but they don’t have visible sutures.

I do get the wearing down of sutures and how it can take away the detail, but I still don’t think it would remove evidence of those sutures that actually angle in or outward from the other saddles or lobes. I could be wrong. I’ve got a lot more specimens. I need to dig them out and compare.

I’ll have to do that later. I just got paged into work again. At least it isn’t 11:00 PM.

I see what you mean about occurrence and the fauna lists. I've always been confused by the way that book is laid out. I was mostly going by the Houston book which only lists B. aquilaensis in Fannin County but I guess maybe they only include specimens they were able to document not everything reported.

I am also disappointed by the lack of clarity in suture descriptions; accessory, adventitiouds, auxilary, phylloid... the given definitions of these terms always leaves me with that goofy blank stare. LOL

If you look at an exposed septum you can see that depending on how far into the flank the wear has occurred you can end up with a slight curve with little or no folding at all but it may be less obvious how much wear has occurred than we think without an intact section to compare. I also haven't looked into the effect of crushing on how they appear so maybe someone else can help. When I qualify my offerings with the phrase "vague notions of possible answers" even that may be an exaggeration :)

@KimTexan Thanks for the great report and pics. I don't think there is anyone else on the forum that goes into such detail about their adventures as you do. I mean this in a good way. When I read your reports it is almost as if I am reading a novel by one of the great authors. It gives forum members a good look of who you are as a person.:)

Dave

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very nice and true to the surrounding’s of the NSR. Great story!! Chapter 1 I’d say. When dose your book come out? I’d be happy to purchase one.

nice finds!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 12:10 AM, lcordova said:

Very nice sutures....the color of the black one is very intense.

There are many phosphatized fossils in the area. 

Every trip I learn new things about the place and the fossils. It is a very dynamic place with such diversity of environments and fossils.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, Darktooth said:

@KimTexan Thanks for the great report and pics. I don't think there is anyone else on the forum that goes into such detail about their adventures as you do. I mean this in a good way. When I read your reports it is almost as if I am reading a novel by one of the great authors. It gives forum members a good look of who you are as a person.:)

Dave

Thank you. That is a very nice complement. I enjoy entertaining and enlightening people about one of my great loves, fossils and fossil hunting.

I have been thinking I’ll get myself a head cam, Go Pro type thing to take with me while hunting to try to see how fossil hunting videos may go over. I tend to be kind of animated in the outdoors meaning I am happy and excited to be outdoors. I am serious and can be intense about the fossils too. From what I hear some people find it entertaing to hunt with me. 

If I do the videos it won’t be till after Christmas though.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:52 PM, goatinformationist said:

Your book reference leads back to: http://www.digitalatlasofancientlife.org/, not yet complete but a wonderful digital monograph funded by the NSF.  I will expect great things to come of it in the future.

Thank  you so much.

I would too, but it seems stalled out. There are ones for other periods too. It would be best if they permitted others to submit photos and info of their finds and then they add them if deemed acceptable. 

Hum, therein may lay and great project. I like their format, but it is incomplete and needs more categories.

On 9/15/2018 at 8:57 AM, Twinlukers said:

Very nice and true to the surrounding’s of the NSR. Great story!! Chapter 1 I’d say. When dose your book come out? I’d be happy to purchase one.

nice finds!!!

Thank you.

I assume you’re joking. No book is in the works. Although it sounds like a lot of fun if I had the time to do the research and write it. There are some real characters out there who hunt the NSR. I’d enjoy hearing some of their stories and finds. There are 2 brothers who live in the area and hunt it to sell the fossils they find. Evidently they have made a fair amount of money doing it.

I’ve wanted to write a book since I was about 12.