pugrockprincess

Hi everyone!

I know mosasaur teeth are fairly common and you can pick them up really cheap, this means they're not usually faked. I was wondering what makes the price of a jaw vary so much? I won this as an auction so the price doesn't necessarily represent quality but I was fairly sure it's real. Certainly the teeth seem to be. However, I've heard the jaws themselves can be made and the teeth then set in to it. As there's not a lot of detail to go on, is there any way of authenticating them? I'm really happy with what I've got regardless. Aesthetically it's a nice jaw. I can't find any for sale that are identical at least! Any tips appreciated! Thanks.

Screenshot_20180907-192419__01.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this can't be called a jaw... there is not even a scrap of jaw bone or any bone in this creation.  These guys in Morocco seem to have sunk to a new low.  They called this a jaw??!!   

Yes, the teeth are real, but that is it.  

• I found this Informative 4

I'm very sorry to say this seems to be one of the many Moroccan composites, I'm afraid. 

The tooth crowns are real enough but the roots and jaw are all carved into the block which may not even be real matrix. 

Sorry. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, jpc said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this can't be called a jaw... there is not even a scrap of jaw bone or any bone in this creation.  These guys in Morocco seem to have sunk to a new low.  They called this a jaw??!!   

Yes, the teeth are real, but that is it.  

Just beat me to it. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Perhaps you can just consider it a creative way to showcase the nice teeth :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

As others have said, the teeth (not including roots) are real, but the rest is fabricated. Feel free to post here before you buy on future purchases, there are very knowledgeable people that can help you avoid things like these. :)

Thanks everyone! Like I suspected the teeth are real. However, I really liked the layout and colour compared to those on a yellow base with darker teeth. I got it for £20 so think that's fair based on the cost of the individual teeth but that was the auction starting price and I'd bundled it with other (genuine) fossils so they let me have it at that cost on request.

Most I have seen don't seem to have anything other than an embossed jaw shape. Even the pricier ones that are sold in antique shops near me. I wondered why they weren't exposed fully and yet the teeth are! I have a broad trilobite collection and it's usually fairly easy to spot fakes and repair work but I'll consider myself a novice in other areas. I will always buy something if I like it however :)

£20 is fine for that, as a display piece. But if you keep an eye out, you'll probably be able to get a good section of real jaw with teeth for about four times that amount.

Hi and welcome to TFF.

I hope you don’t mind but I just thought it would be good to show a beautiful example of a mosasaur jaw that is in the Teylers Museum in Haarlem Netherlands. If you ever spot anything you like but not a 100% about it, you can post on the TFF and get some great advice. Try before you buy.  Cheers Bobby 

7FA56C7E-F78A-4F0E-AC60-196D8B452386.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

It appears from my own research that almost every specimen set out like mine is a composite. Many people have tried to clean them to find the matrix dissolves in seconds. I bought this because I'm a sucker for combining postage so bought as much as I could from the one seller. They chucked in a bag of free shark teeth so I'm happy! It seems the jaw is often made of goat bone. They are often set out quite rectangular but I love the shape of mine. It's an interesting topic and I'm sure I can fool visiting with untrained eyes! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a genuine specimen but don't have future plans to collect these.

Appreciate all the input! Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi and welcome to TFF.

I hope you don’t mind but I just thought it good to show a beautiful example of a mosasaur jaw that is in the Teylers Museum in Haarlem Netherlands. If you ever spot anything you like but not a 100% about it just you can post on the TFF and get some great advice. Try before you buy.  Cheers Bobby 

7FA56C7E-F78A-4F0E-AC60-196D8B452386.jpeg

Thanks yes that's what I would have expected from a fossilised jaw. My kids are getting in to fossils so I'm happy to let them near mine for what it cost. It definitely gives an idea of how they may have looked. I'm more of a trilobite collector so this isn't my area at all, but I feel very clued to identify those should I come across a spontaneous purchase. I've only ever struggled with one and you were all so helpful here :)