Mackeral Shark Tooth?

jwalker

A little help here on this one. I believe it to be a mackerel shark tooth of some kind. It was found with great white teeth after some material from offshore of South Carolina was brought in for a beach renourishment. I have several of approximately the same size.

Thanks,

Jamie

Tooth Photo.jpg

Or an Otodus.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I believe there are some Cretaceous formations in the area, which could have yielded an Otodus. @Al Dente

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I believe there are some Cretaceous formations in the area, which could have yielded an Otodus. @Al Dente

Didn't Otodus first appear during the early Paleocene?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

If this is Cretaceous, it is an Archaeolamna, possibly A. kopingensis.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Just now, The Jersey Devil said:

If this is Cretaceous, it is an Archaeolamna, possibly A. kopingensis.

Never mind, didn't look at the size. Too large for that, I agree with Otodus.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

Didn't Otodus first appear during the early Paleocene?

Left one is Paleocene, right one is Maastrictian, Cretaceous, so no

Otodus compare300lg008small.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Paleoc said:

Left one is Paleocene, right one is Maastrictian, Cretaceous, so no

Otodus compare300lg008small.jpg

Hmm interesting. The one on the right could possibly be a variation of Cretalamna, but it doesn't really look like one with the thick lingual protuberance. I think elasmo says Otodus appeared during the early Paleocene.