Fossil horns?

Kasia

Dear TFF members,

I have bought these two on an auction - the seller says they were found in the sands of the Vistula river, in the area of Kraków (south of Poland). Could they be fossilised horns? 

I will appreciate any suggestions :)

Kasia

IMG_20180904_172818.jpg

IMG_20180904_172756.jpg

Look like horns to me, though I've no idea if they're fossil or from what.

Interesting.

:popcorn:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just to be clear for others viewing, I think we are looking at the horn cores ( insides).

The seller gave you no indications of what they were from? Are they fossilized? Same tests as for bone.

12 hours ago, caldigger said:

Just to be clear for others viewing, I think we are looking at the horn cores ( insides).

The seller gave you no indications if what they were from? Are they fossilized? Same tests as for bone.

No, the seller wrote that he has no idea, of what animal they could be. They are fossilised for sure.

12 hours ago, Darko said:

I'm thinking bison, but also looks like ovis ..Hope pictures will help :D

Thanks a lot - the larger one definitely resembles the bison horn core. The smaller - could be the sheep :)

2 hours ago, Packy said:

Could they be the inside of the cow horn that would have been hooked to the skull? Packy

Yes, that was our conclusion on the basis of suggestions of other TFF members - these are just the cores, as the external keratin cover was not preserved :)

Archived